Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Carl Woodward <cj...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/04 09:09:37 UTC

Problems sending Hotmail

Hi,

I'm having trouble sending emails to hotmail addresses. They don't
come through at all. I have checked the spam/junk mailer folder and
its not there.

Also, emails to gmail get marked as spam.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks for your help,
Carl.

Re: Problems sending Hotmail

Posted by Carl Woodward <cj...@gmail.com>.
Sorry I thought that was the rails mailing list. Apologies. You
already know I'm running james.

I have tried it on two systems running james and it doesnt seem to work.

--
Carl Woodward
0412218979

Re: Problems sending Hotmail

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I doubt that James does anything that could increase the probability to
be marked as spam.
James simply relay the messages that you send to it.

Maybe that the domain of your "sender" email address have a domainkeys
or an spf record that declare rules not compatible with your james
server address: if this is the case you will have the same problem with
every mail server.

You may want to use a gateway (in the RemoteDelivery configuration) to
send all the outgoing mail through your provider mail server.

As an example if you try to send email using @gmail.com as sender and
the receiving server uses SPF then you will be subjected to this rules:

 > host -t txt gmail.com
gmail.com text "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.google.com"
 > host -t txt _spf.google.com
_spf.google.com text "v=spf1 ip4:216.239.56.0/23 ip4:64.233.160.0/19
ip4:66.249.80.0/20 ip4:72.14.192.0/18 ?all"

Stefano

Posted by Carl Woodward <cj...@gmail.com>.
I think it is actually my mail server. I am running james (apache). I
am going to switch over to postfix and see what happens. Only problem
is that I want to run a full pop server as well so I have to configure
all these different products, where as james had everything built in.

What are you running?

On 9/4/06, Santosh Puranshettiwar <sa...@wirkle.com> wrote:
> I've had these problems with Yahoo mail too. Haven't figured out a
> solution yet.
> What is the nature of your server (I mean how it is being used, the
> domain name, users, etc.)
>
> Probably we could figure out a problem if we all work together.
>
> Santosh.
> Carl Woodward wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having trouble sending emails to hotmail addresses. They don't
> > come through at all. I have checked the spam/junk mailer folder and
> > its not there.
> >
> > Also, emails to gmail get marked as spam.
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution to this?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Carl.

Carl Woodward
0412218979
cjwoodward@gmail.com

Re: Problems sending Hotmail

Posted by Carl Woodward <cj...@gmail.com>.
Guys, I have found something. If your sending email without a from
name then it goes straight to spam in gmail. Add a from name and it
comes through there. It is coming through as (Unknown Sender) for me
so I'm still looking. Hope this gives some help.

Cheers,
Carl.

Carl Woodward
0412218979
cjwoodward@gmail.com

Re: Problems sending Hotmail

Posted by Santosh Puranshettiwar <sa...@wirkle.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Santosh Puranshettiwar <sa...@wirkle.com>.
I agree. JAMES couldn't be *it*.
But quite a few of us are facing this problem, probably we should digg
it and document the problem somewhere for future.

What say?

Santosh.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've had these problems with Yahoo mail too.

I have JAMES in production on a static IP and it works just fine with Yahoo
and Hotmail, and everything else.

I am on several Yahoo-based mailing lists, and have noticed some timeouts
with Yahoo lately, but that's why they have (and we try) multiple servers
during delivery.  And why servers (are supposed to) make many attempts for
mail.

It is a constant battle against the spam gangs.  Last night I noticed a
storm where in about 9 hours we had more than 72K connections rejected
because there were more than the maximum connections already in use, and
that's in addition to handled over 50K connections (and message attempts) in
that same period.  Much of the traffic was generated by legitimate servers,
particularly prodigy.net's mail servers, sending bounces for forged traffic
sent by spambots.  The traffic dropped off a couple of hours ago, possibly
when mail administrators got into their offices and saw their traffic, and
things are back to normal.

	--- Noel

Re: Problems sending Hotmail

Posted by Santosh Puranshettiwar <sa...@wirkle.com>.