Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2005/03/22 23:09:41 UTC

Couple of tests I ran on Cocoon, VMs and JDKs

FYI, might be interesting for the Cocooners out there, as that's what
I've tested.

http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/wiki/display/pier/32+Versus+64

	Pier

Re: Couple of tests I ran on Cocoon, VMs and JDKs

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 23 Mar 2005, at 04:32, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>> FYI, might be interesting for the Cocooners out there, as that's what
>> I've tested.
>> http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/wiki/display/pier/32+Versus+64
>
> Interesting.
>
> It would also be kinda cool to have some other data in terms of
> concurrency, you are stressing with 10 threads, but it would be
> interesting to see if the 64bit architecture handles load better or
> worse (don't know why, but it's another axis to consider that you
> haven't in your exercise).
>
> yes, I know you might not care :-)

Yep, I don't! :-) For VNUNET, our acceptor limit set on Jetty is (IIRC)
15. So, only a maximum of 15 threads can access Cocoon at the same
time.

We cache the bejesus out of the application, so parallelization of
tasks is not "that" important to us, while raw speed definitely is.

FWIW, I tested threading comparing normal linux threads with NPTL, and
there you definitely had a massive improvement by switching to NPTL,
but more than that, I can't tell you...

I believe SIMILE runs on the same hardware, right (or was it a HP
360/G3?) I think you can ran the tests yourself! :-P

Posted by Ben Pope <be...@gmail.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> FYI, might be interesting for the Cocooners out there, as that's what
>> I've tested.
>>
>> http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/wiki/display/pier/32+Versus+64
>

> Interesting.
>
> It would also be kinda cool to have some other data in terms of
> concurrency, you are stressing with 10 threads, but it would be
> interesting to see if the 64bit architecture handles load better or
> worse (don't know why, but it's another axis to consider that you
> haven't in your exercise).
>
> yes, I know you might not care :-)

Anybody done any comparisons between Java 1.5 and 1.4.2?

...Since Cocoon now compiles cleanly on 1.5.

Ben

Re: Couple of tests I ran on Cocoon, VMs and JDKs

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stefano.