Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/12/07 12:50:35 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/build build2.mk buildexports.sh

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:37:10AM -0000, gstein@locus.apache.org wrote:
> gstein      00/12/07 03:37:09
>
>   Modified:    include  http_main.h
>                server   Makefile.in main.c
>                build    build2.mk buildexports.sh
>   Log:
>   *) generate exports.c during normal build of "server" rather than during the
>      buildconf stage. update invocation to match above changes

I'd like to comment on why I did it as part of the build step, rather than
as part of the buildconf or configuration step:

  OtherBill just nuked apr_canonical_error from APR. But it was still
  sitting in my apr.exports. Therefore, exports.c contained a reference to
  the (now non-existent) function and the compilation barfed. By placing
  this into the build itself, and including a dependency on the *.exports
  files, I was able to tweak apr.exports to remove apr_canonical_error,
  exports.c was regenerated automatically, and then rebuilt. Contrast this
  with needing to run buildconf or configure to pick up the change.

I hope that makes sense...

(and yes: that AWK script from Brian made this process damn fast! woo!)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/