Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/19 11:20:59 UTC

Use the new Home Page look in Demos page

Hi to all,
what do you think if I'd add the same new look also in the demos html
page (and maybe also to the Web Start demos page) ?
Keeping it as simple/clean as possible, but aligned with the site.

But for the 1.4.1, ok ?

Tell me, so I can open a jira ticket.

Byeeee

Re: Use the new Home Page look in Demos page

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,
I reply here what I said to you today (in a private mail), to close
the issue, so others can be updated ...

My idea was to make Demos and Tutorial pages in line with the new look
of the site, but as you write probably wasn't a good idea, so excuse
me for this unwanted commit.
I'm still of the idea that we can make those pages look a little
better than currently, but if wanted we can do it later (if it would
be the case, and probably not for the same reasons as before), so now
it's better to focus on remaining task (I'm speaking of  me here :-)
).

And thanks to Greg to have fixed things for me, because I have access
to a PC only now :-) .

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Use the new Home Page look in Demos page

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandro,

I'm actually leaning against making our demos and tutorials pages that we
release adhere to the site design at all -- and instead applying some XSLT
transformations to them to deploy them to the main site and make them look
like they belong.  Basically, we'd make XML templates in the demos and
tutorials projects, and then apply one XSLT to turn them into basic pages
that will ship in our WARs... then apply a different XSLT to turn them into
the pages that will live on our site.  Thus, the site design docs would
never even live in the trunk.

The reason for this line of thinking is that:

   1. it doesn't feel right to ship demos and tutorial pages with our
   releases that look like they belong in the main site.  The links would be
   broken (or we'd have to hack them to be fully qualified), it'd feel out of
   context, etc.
   2. We'd inevitably have to fork the site design code, as you've already
   started to do -- we'd end up having the same code live in site, trunk/demos,
   and trunk/tutorials.  Then, we have the age-old problem of making updates to
   one part and forgetting to update the others.

I'd hold off on anything for now, 'cause you'll probably have to revert it
later.  In fact, you should probably revert the stuff you already checked in
:-(  I hadn't quite formulated all this in my head as of yesterday, so sorry
for putting you through wasted effort, but in hindsight, it's what I meant
when I said that the site design shouldn't be tied to any release. :)

-T

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
This should not be release oriented IMO - it should be timed with the update
of the whole site.

-T

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
I was going to be updating the site to coordinate with our [hopeful]
graduation, but I'd be happy for some help if you wanted to tackle the demos
page.  Thien provided a sample of what the new demos page looks like, so
he's already done the bulk of the work there. :)

-T