Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Aaron Anderson <ni...@yahoo.com> on 2006/02/03 19:44:39 UTC

Re: Roller 2.1-incubating RC2 - J2EE conformance

A couple of comments on J2EE conformance with the Roller 2.1-RC2 release

  In the roller web.xml, please consider changing the web-apps declaration from

   <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
        <web-app >

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

        xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
        version="2.4">

The current web.xml does not conform to the servlet 2.3 specification and users wishing to use 2.3 would have to modify the web.xml anyway.

  Also please consider changing all the JSTL taglib declaration uri's from

    http://java.sun.com/jstl/core
http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt
  http://java.sun.com/jstl/xml

  http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core
http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/fmt
  http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml

to be conforment with the JSTL JCP specifcation.

Re: Roller 2.1-incubating RC2 - J2EE conformance

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I'd like to move to a 2.4 DTD at some point, but not at this point in
the release cycle.

- Dave

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
Requiring Servlet 2.4 is probably not a big deal, but it might be a
big change for our users.  You are correct that the <dispatcher>
elements are 2.4-only, but both Resin and Tomcat (our most popular
deployed-on platforms) support them in a 2.3 DTD, so we've left them
in there.  If a <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher> is required for
things to work properly, we should mandate 2.4.  In AppFuse, I use a
build flag to change web.xml appropriately if the user desires 2.4.
Another option would be to upgrade to a nightly build of XDoclet,
which I believe supports 2.4.  This way, you'd only need to change 2.3
to 2.4 in build.xml.

Matt