Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2018/03/03 13:52:52 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.1.0-rc1

Dave,

In our general@incubator VOTE for rc2, Justin McClean suggested that the
copyrights for the BSD license and others should be in the LICENSE
rather than the NOTICE [1], which to me seems to conflict with point (1)
below. He also provided links that backup his suggestion. Were there
special circumstances for these files that necessitated moving the
copyright lines to the NOTICE?

For reference, the commit that made the suggested changes was PR-43 [2].

Thanks,
- Steve

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7bdfc3eefae4951827b9a8f626e34ed3bdd584a3819498af45a8b866@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-daffodil/pull/43/

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
DAFFDOIL-1906 [1] was created to document the issues you pointed out,
but maybe didn't realize the issues included the copyright lines/BSD
licenses in NOTICE. Sounds to me like as part of DAFFODIL-1906,  we also
need to revert the parts of PR-43 [2] that modified NOTICE/LICENSE
information?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-1906

On 03/03/2018 09:09 AM, John D. Ament wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I pointed out the same issues that Justin pointed out on the dev vote [3].
> I also requested that there be JIRAs to document these gaps, did those get
> created?
>
> [3]:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6eb215c8a49c2dd245b72353b06ea8d7542e34ee5239eada33e55b88@%3Cdev.daffodil.apache.org%3E
>
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 8:52 AM Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> In our general@incubator VOTE for rc2, Justin McClean suggested that the
>> copyrights for the BSD license and others should be in the LICENSE
>> rather than the NOTICE [1], which to me seems to conflict with point (1)
>> below. He also provided links that backup his suggestion. Were there
>> special circumstances for these files that necessitated moving the
>> copyright lines to the NOTICE?
>>
>> For reference, the commit that made the suggested changes was PR-43 [2].
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Steve
>>
>> [1]
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7bdfc3eefae4951827b9a8f626e34ed3bdd584a3819498af45a8b866@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>> [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-daffodil/pull/43/
>>
>> On 02/12/2018 03:46 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> A few quick comments from a partial review of the Source and Binary
>> release.
>>>
>>> (1) LICENSE & NOTICE.
>>>
>>> (a) The copyright portions that are in the LICENSE on the various
>> licenses
>>> should be moved to the NOTICE. The LICENSE should still include which
>> files are
>>> under the other licenses.
>>>
>>> (b) The Open Grid Forum DFDL v1.0 license needs to be confirmed as
>> permissible
>>> by the Legal Affairs committee. This should include guidance about
>> NOTICE vs.
>>> LICENSE. Legal JIRA issues can be created in the issue tracker.
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL
>>>
>>> (2) .rat-excludes
>>>
>>> (a) The following should not be excluded. RAT should pick up the
>> licenses as
>>> category A if they are present.
>>> # passera is 3-clause BSD
>>> passera