Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/04 19:15:32 UTC

Question about Apache projects and Kickstarter-like campaigns

Hi!

I'm an Apache Tapestry committer and PMC member and very active specially
in the mailing lists.

I'm at a period in which I have no job, no clients and I haven't started
looking for a job again. So I have the schedule for that. But this free
time cannot be free, because I, as everyone else, have bills to pay. So I
thought it would be a perfect time to run an fixed-funding IndieGogo
campaign (Kickastart only allows USA citizens) to have me working
exclusively on the Tapestry codebase and documentation for a month.

If there are people actually wanting to fund that, I just didn't want to
lose the opportunity before I get some other work and I don't have all
that time to work on Tapestry itself again. Of course, I will still
contribute to the project in the mailing list as usual and also some code,
but all that on my actual free (i.e time I'm not doing something that
would earn me money or help me find paid work).

 From the Foundation point of view, is this allowed? From a community is it
something to be avoided? I'd take a lot of care to make sure nobody would
consider this potential campaign to be blackmail, just one way to say
thank you and to help Tapestry, which has no backing company, progress
faster.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

--