Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Stuart Goldberg <sg...@fixflyer.com> on 2018/04/17 15:52:27 UTC

Help! - Max Segment name reached

We have an index that has run into this bug:

Although this is reported to be fixed in Lucene 7.2, we are at 4.10.4 and
cannot upgrade.

By looking at the code it seems that the last segment number counter is
persisted in segment_h. When creating a new segment, it names the segment
based on the persisted counter. If this counter is larger than
Integer.MAX_VALUE how can we recover this index.

Is there anything we can do?

Stuart M Goldberg

Senior Vice President of Software Develpment
FIX Flyer LLC
 <http://www.FIXFlyer.com/> http://www.FIXFlyer.com/

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E- MAIL IS MEANT ONLY FOR THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT(S) OF THE TRANSMISSION, AND CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
WHICH IS PROPRIETARY TO FIX FLYER LLC ANY UNAUTHORIZED USE, COPYING,
DISTRIBUTION, OR DISSEMINATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. ALL RIGHTS TO THIS
INFORMATION IS RESERVED BY FIX FLYER LLC. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER BY REPLY EMAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS
E-MAIL FROM YOUR SYSTEM AND DESTROY ANY COPIES.

Re: Help! - Max Segment name reached

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Well I think as time goes on we'll see more and more people running into it
;)

But you really need to commit at a surprisingly high rate, and have a
surprisingly long lived index, to overflow the int that holds the segment
number.  E.g. if you commit once per second, it should take ~68 years to
overflow the int.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.