Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jayant <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2010/11/04 04:49:10 UTC

Does Solr support Natural Language Search

Does Solr support Natural Language Search? I did not find any thing about
this in the reference manual. Please let me know.
Thanks.

RE: Does Solr support Natural Language Search

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Jayant,

I think you mean NL search as opposed to Boolean search: the ability to return ranked results from queries based on non-required term matches.  Right?

If that is what you meant, then the answer is: "Yes!".  If not, then you should rephrase your question.

Otherwise, the answer could eventually be: "Maybe!!!".  YMMV, TMR.

Steve

Posted by Li Li <fa...@gmail.com>.
    I don't think current lucene will offer what you want now.
    There are 2 main tasks in a search process.
    One is "understanding" users' intension. Because natural language
understanding is difficult, Current Information Retrival systems
"force" users input some terms to express their needs. But terms have
ambiguations. e.g. apple may means a fruit or electronics. so users
are asked to inpinput more terms to disambiguate . e.g. apple fruit
may suggest user want fruit apple. There are many things to help
detect user's demand -- query expansion(Searches related to in google)
suggests when user type ...... The ultimate goal is understanding
intension by analyzing users' natural language.

    Another is "understanding" documents. Current models such as VSM
don't understanding document. it just regards documents as words'
collections. when users input a word, it returns documents contains
this word(tf). of course idf is also taken into consideration.
    But it's far from understanding. That's why Keyword stuffing comes
out. Because machine don't really understanding the document and can't
judge whether the document is good or bad or whether it matchs query
good or bad
    So PageRank and some other external informations are used to
relieve this problem. But can't fully solve it.
    To fully understand documents need more advaned NLP techs. But I
don't think it will achieve human's intelligence in near future
although I am a NLPer
    Another road is human help machine "understanding", That's which
called web 2.0 social networks, semantic web ... But also not an easy
task.