Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> on 2011/03/30 19:32:59 UTC

Re: Scoring student proposals

Thanks Luciano.

As this year's co-admin I took this issue to the gsoc-mentors list and we
are in the process of clarifying some things now. I'll shortly start a
discussion here on how we can adjust our process to the new system.

Uli

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 3/30/2011 12:13 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> For what it's worth I've also made it clear that making these changes at this point is totally unreasonable. This is creating work for our admins - like they need more work.

It is strange that every year they seem to work on melange, it is always
different but I can't say that  it has ever improved.  Maybe there is
something intrinsically hard about developing an application that is
used just once a year.
Certainly it is not helpful to introduce such  changes to  students,
mentors and admins  the day the program kicks off.
> If there are a number of issues like this I strongly suggest considering using a spreadsheet for the evaluation (assuming the new interface enables us to export the data). The reason I say this is that this system has been evolved and fine tuned over the last 6 years. It has been very hard developing a system that everyone feels is fair, trying to come up with a new one now will require new documentation and discussion.

I agree we should do what is needed to keep our  rubric even if we have
to supplement melange with a spreadsheet or whatever to determine the
proper ranking and then input it to match the  new  software.    Maybe
when the scoring period starts mentors should just put each score as
part of a comment as described in our process[1]  but not assign actual
points.   Then at least the scores and the reasons should be visible to
the community  while we figure out how to conform to the new system

Thanks

Kathey

[1]http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html

Re: Scoring student proposals

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
For what it's worth I've also made it clear that making these changes at this point is totally unreasonable. This is creating work for our admins - like they need more work.

I'm not sure how much impact this will have. Certainly if there is no way to know who voted what our system will break completely. At present this is the case but devs have promised to fix this.

If there are a number of issues like this I strongly suggest considering using a spreadsheet for the evaluation (assuming the new interface enables us to export the data). The reason I say this is that this system has been evolved and fine tuned over the last 6 years. It has been very hard developing a system that everyone feels is fair, trying to come up with a new one now will require new documentation and discussion.

Ross

Sent from my mobile device.