Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2011/12/21 15:50:02 UTC

Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Hi,

Let discuss (again) what will be included in Wicket 6.0 so we can
schedule what and when will be implemented.

Here is how I see it:
- use JQuery as backing library - already in master/trunk
- rework Wicket Ajax to use event registration instead of inline
attributes (like onclick, onchange, ...) - already in master, needs to
be polished
- add support for resource grouping/bundling and dependency management
- already in master
- rework IHeaderResponse to work with HeaderItem to make it easier to
render new elements/attributes - already in master
- add support for @javax.inject.Inject - in master, but may need more
work. Need to decide how much will be changed here
- add wicket-cdi - only if JBoss publish CDI jars in Maven central repo
- component queuing - @ivaynberg: shall we include that or it is not stable ?
- before RC1 rename packages so there are no overlaps in different
jars (OSGi friendly)

This is my list.

I suggest to release M1 sooner to get more feedback earlier.

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
I've just added the list of tasks at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+6.0+Roadmap

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Rob,

The only major change that left is "component queueing". We need to
decide how to proceed there.
I prefer to release 6.0-M1 next few weeks and this way give the users
a chance to try it and send us feedback sooner.
If we decide that component queuing is stable then we will release M2
instead of RC1 and postpone 6.0 GA.

But as I said we need more feedback from users. You can create some
pet project just to try 6.0.

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM, danisevsky <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, and what about moving inmethod grid to the wicket-extensions? If
> we would rewrite js parts from YUI to jQuery?

There is no active maintainer of this library even now in wicketstuff.org :-(
Once I migrate my application in my daily job to 6.0 I will try to
migrate inmethod-grid too because it is a heavy Ajax component and
probably will
uncover some bugs.

Until then you can try to migrate its script.js from YUI to jQuery.
This will help me a lot!

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by danisevsky <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
+1

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let discuss (again) what will be included in Wicket 6.0 so we can
> schedule what and when will be implemented.
>
> Here is how I see it:
> - use JQuery as backing library - already in master/trunk
> - rework Wicket Ajax to use event registration instead of inline
> attributes (like onclick, onchange, ...) - already in master, needs to
> be polished
> - add support for resource grouping/bundling and dependency management
> - already in master
> - rework IHeaderResponse to work with HeaderItem to make it easier to
> render new elements/attributes - already in master
> - add support for @javax.inject.Inject - in master, but may need more
> work. Need to decide how much will be changed here
> - add wicket-cdi - only if JBoss publish CDI jars in Maven central repo

cdi and weld jars are in central. seam jars are not there yet. we use
seam for cross-container conversation management which is not pat of
cdi 1.0 but is coming in 1.1.

if seam jars are not there yet before we are ready for M1 i can put
the weld-specific code into the distro. that way we can at least
support cdi backed by weld which will be the majority of cases
anyways.

> - component queuing - @ivaynberg: shall we include that or it is not stable ?

its not stable yet. as i was implementing component queuing i realized
that by itself it is not enough. sure, we can dequeue components, but
it doesnt solve the myriad of other problems we have - namely things
like borders and enclosures. what i am trying to do is to make sure
that if a queued component happens to be inside an enclosure or
another resolver-based component it is dequeued into that component
instead. resolved components will no longer be "auto", they will be
kept in the hierarchy across requests. this will finally solve the
enclosure+form components and other headaches introduced by auto
components. however, bringing resolvers into the dequeuing process
poses two complications:
* where as before dequeuing was done by iterating queued components
and finding them in markup, because we are now also resolving
components we need to iterate the markup instead and either dequeue or
resolve
* IMarkup and resolvers are not exactly built to work with components
that are kept across requests

i am going to get Juergen's help over christmas to try and resolve
this. i think if we do crack this it is going to make a lot of things
much easier and remove a lot of surprises users encounter with
resolvers and auto components. also, if this work we can consider
making add() work like queue() in wicket 7.

a very rough impl is here:

https://github.com/ivaynberg/wicket/tree/sandbox/hierarchy-completion

and

https://github.com/ivaynberg/wicket/blob/sandbox/hierarchy-completion/wicket-core/src/test/java/org/apache/wicket/hierarchy/complete/HierarchyCompletionTest.java

i will probably move the branch over into our git repo soon.

-igor

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
If so I'll start working on WICKET-4240 next week.

Sven

Re: Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
Hi Jeremy,

Re: Roadmap for Wicket 6.0

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net> wrote:

> Hi Gabriel,
>
> there are several components which are in need of an overhaul, especially
> Javascript heavy implementations like modal window and autocomplete.
> Before we have decided on these, I'm reluctant to shove more code into the
> framework.
>

> >It would be very nice to use a TreeProvider instead of the swing TreeNode.
>
> Everyone can start using http://code.google.com/p/**wicket-tree/<http://code.google.com/p/wicket-tree/>right away. I'm planning to move the 6.0 implementation to wicket-stuff
> (with minor changes), hopefully we'll get more feedback about its
> usefulness then.

Sven,

  Thoughts about moving your tree to wicket-extensions rather than
wicket-stuff?  If it's supported by core committers and likely to make it
into a future release of Wicket, I'd rather see it there than wicket-stuff.
 Wicket stuff is still widely regarded as the "wild west" of Wicket plugins
and has a hard time getting wider adoption by many of the companies I visit
(and rightly so in many regards, despite the heroic efforts of Mike and
others).

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com