Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "pietromarrone@inwind.it" <pi...@inwind.it> on 2006/02/03 10:47:31 UTC

Validator-Struts problem reloading page

A question on Struts - Validator and refresh page:
I have a form with tws "select" fields, second depending from the second.
Example: first is choose State then the sedond needs to be populated with choosen state countries, if the user change state again the country again needs to be reloaded.

I solved this problem this way:
On "onChange" of state select I call "Refresh" method of my DispatchAction, on submitting Save I call "Save" method of the same DispatchAction. (Note: Refresh and Save are my owns methods).

On Refresh method I check the select state and populate the country bean, then dispatch to the same page.
On Save method I do the real Submit action, then dispatch to confirm page.

All works fine, but when I introduced the Validator framework it try to validate the formBean also when the Refresh method is caming to be called, while it should not be executed.

Now I ask you:
- There is a manner to call Validaror only when I want to validate, obviously continuing to use the Validator framework.
- Is my way to reload the page in order to populate the second select field correct, or there is a different and better manner? (I cant use javascript way, my second select field contains too opions).

Regards
Pietro