Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by David Merrill <da...@otelco.com> on 2019/02/12 03:50:09 UTC

KVM - configuring libvirtd for use...

Hi All,

I’m having a go with this:

  *   https://rohityadav.cloud/blog/cloudstack-kvm/

I’m running into a funny problem w/libvirtd on KVM where edits I make to

  *   /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf

revert to default values. Specifically “listen_tcp” gets set *back* to 0 after I’ve set it to 1 and restarted the libvrtd service. I end up in a place where I’ve arranged things to be able to add the KVM host but find that I can’t because libvirtd is now not listening on tcp port 16509.

I might be out of scope asking here (maybe it’s more of a Ubuntu/KVM/libvrtd thing (it’s bizarre, *something* is changing that conf file - I’m just not sure what it is yet and/or I’ve made some assumption out here on the bleeding edge of Ubuntu 18.04 & the latest ACS), but I’ve searched a bit and haven’t found a good line on someone else having this problem. Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
David

David Merrill
Senior Systems Engineer,
Managed and Private/Hybrid Cloud Services
OTELCO
92 Oak Street, Portland ME 04101
office 207.772.5678<callto:207.772.5678>
www.otelco.com<http://www.otelco.com>/business/managed-services

Confidentiality Message
The information contained in this e-mail transmission may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this information, including attachments, is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please call me at 207.772.5678<callto:207.772.5678> so this error can be corrected.

RE: KVM - configuring libvirtd for use...

Posted by Richard Persaud <ri...@macys.com>.
Hi David,

On Ubuntu 16.04 I modified /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf:

echo 'listen_tls=0' >> /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
echo 'listen_tcp=1' >> /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
echo 'tcp_port = "16509"' >> /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
echo 'mdns_adv = 0' >> /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
echo 'auth_tcp = "none"' >> /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
systemctl restart libvirt

I also had to modify /etc/default/libvirt-bin to get the “secure communications” working properly

sed -i -e 's/.*libvirtd_opts.*/libvirtd_opts="-l"/' /etc/default/libvirt-bin

Here is link to some documentation that may help:

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.11.2.0/installguide/hypervisor/kvm.html#install-and-configure-libvirt

Regards,

Richard Persaud

www.otelco.com<https://isolate.menlosecurity.com/0/eJyrViotylGyUsooKSmw0tcvLy_Xyy9JzUnO10vOz1XSUSrKV7Iy1FEqyUwBKjI0MFaqBQClHA9r><http://www.otelco.com<https://isolate.menlosecurity.com/0/eJyrViotylGyUsooKSmw0tcvLy_Xyy9JzUnO10vOz1XSUSrKV7Iy1FEqyUwBKjI0MFaqBQClHA9r>>/business/managed-services

Confidentiality Message
The information contained in this e-mail transmission may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this information, including attachments, is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please call me at 207.772.5678<callto:207.772.5678> so this error can be corrected.

* This is an EXTERNAL EMAIL. Stop and think before clicking a link or opening attachments.