Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Neil Hare <Ne...@fme.fujitsu.com> on 2001/08/14 09:38:49 UTC

documentation/8179: 'Changes' file format should be changed for readability

>Number:         8179
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       'Changes' file format should be changed for readability
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
It is very difficult to tell from the 'CHANGES' document if an update is
necessary or not. I would suggest that for each new version the following
sections be created: "Security fixes", "Bug fixes", "Enhancements" and under
each of these catagories the different platform changes should be grouped
together (e.g. Win32, UNIX, OS2, Linux, Solaris, etc. or all). These changes would
help all administrators (like myself) to quickly decide if an update is necessary
or not. I am happy with the features that Apache 1.3.19 provides, but need to be
able to tell quickly if I should update to the newest version due to Apache
security issues for the platform that I am running.

If these changes are not possible (for whatever reason), I would suggest at a minimum
that each line start with the platform affected and the word 'SECURITY' if the
change fixes a security issue, 'BUG' for bug fixes, and 'NEW' for new features.
For example, "Solaris (SECURITY) - fixed bug in mod_xxx which would allow root compromise...."

Thank you for your great work at the Apache Group!!!

Best Regards,

Neil Hare

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]