Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/14 21:04:10 UTC

ZookKeeper and 'released' artifacts

Hi ZooKeepers,

It's the first time I am looking deeply into the release procedure and
what ZooKeeper is 'releasing'.
I would like to share some thoughts, in order to understand better the process.

I see that in the official repository [1] we are releasing only one
single "artifact" which is a tarball which contains:
- "buildable" sources
- the compiled "jar" + signatures/checksums
we are also deploying Maven artifacts to Maven Central.

Why are we releasing the 'compiled jar' together with the "buildable" sources ?
should they be separate packages (sources + binaries) ?

Enrico

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/zookeeper/

Re: ZookKeeper and 'released' artifacts

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 1:04 PM Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ZooKeepers,
>
> It's the first time I am looking deeply into the release procedure and
> what ZooKeeper is 'releasing'.
> I would like to share some thoughts, in order to understand better the
> process.
>
> I see that in the official repository [1] we are releasing only one
> single "artifact" which is a tarball which contains:
> - "buildable" sources
> - the compiled "jar" + signatures/checksums
> we are also deploying Maven artifacts to Maven Central.
>
> Why are we releasing the 'compiled jar' together with the "buildable"
> sources ?
> should they be separate packages (sources + binaries) ?

I don't think it's changed much since we joined ASF - over 10 years ago.
iirc at the time that's the way things were done (we inherited alot from
hadoop - e.g. build and things like forrest for docs).

Agree that it makes sense to change - I had mentioned it to Norbert
recently in relation to the maven migration.

Patrick