Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Matthias Mühlhausen <Ma...@uni-jena.de> on 2008/04/14 10:04:10 UTC

UML diagrams, architecture description

Hi,

I am teaching a course about programming with UIMA at Jena University in
Germany this summer term. Therefore I am searching for material like this:

- UML class diagrams of the UIMA Framework classes (or other kiinds of
UML diagrams)
- documentation about the UIMA architecture
- documentation about design decisions that where made

Does anyone know where to find such stuff? (Please don't tell me to read
the UIMA documentation!)

thanks,

--
Matthias Mühlhausen
Jena University Language and Information Engineering (JULIE) Lab

Re: UML diagrams, architecture description

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Matthias Mühlhausen
<Ma...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am teaching a course about programming with UIMA at Jena University in
> Germany this summer term. Therefore I am searching for material like this:
>
>  - UML class diagrams of the UIMA Framework classes (or other kiinds of UML
> diagrams)
>  - documentation about the UIMA architecture
>  - documentation about design decisions that where made
>
>  Does anyone know where to find such stuff? (Please don't tell me to read
> the UIMA documentation!)

You could at least look at the overview sections of the UIMA
documentation if you want a high level view of the framework.

Some architecture-level information can be found in UIMA publications:
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/433/ferrucci.html
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=6&fid=364207&jid=NLE&volumeId=10&issueId=3-4&aid=252253&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S1351324904003523

There is also the UIMA architecture work going on at OASIS, but be
aware that it's not in sync with the current Apache UIMA
implementation:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27168/OASIS_UIMA_Spec_Overview_v18_Votable.pdf

-Adam