Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <eu...@ieugen.ro> on 2017/03/31 13:40:51 UTC

olingo outside Servlet environment - vertx.io

Hello Oling Devs,

I experimented with Oling as an API framework for a project and I
managed to get it working with Vertx framework. Please see a Gist of the
Vertx Handler for Olingo 4.3.0 that I used. It's kind of all that is
needed for a simple integration.

I am a big fan of vertx and I would like to see vertx support upstream
for Olingo.

This could be acieved either as part of Oling or as a contribution project.

My suggestions are:

- make a new module called olingo-servlet and move all servlet related
api from core to this new module.

- make new module called olingo-vertx and implement the vertx
integration in that module

After the release, old users will just have to add a olingo-servlet as
dependency (if package names don't change) and things should just work
for them without code changes.

Let me know if this is someting interesting for you. I can give a hand
in making the change. Just let me know how I can do that.

If it helps, I am committer and PMC for Apache James so I know how
things work in general at Apache.

Regards,

[1] https://gist.github.com/ieugen/9a06da5aa91d814b3f3cdf1b02865304

Re: olingo outside Servlet environment - vertx.io

Posted by mibo <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Olingo and in combination with Vert.x.

I take a quick look into the Gist and I think your integration should and could be done without modification of the existing API
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OLINGO-856

I take a quick look into the Gist and I think your integration should and could be done without using classes from the „core“ and without modifications of the existing Olingo API.
If only the ODataHandler interface and the default implementation is used and get via „OData.createRawHandler(..)“.
Then your Vert.x could be done as a separate module within Olingo (as contribution) or just as a separate project (e.g. hosted on GitHub).

During the changes done for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OLINGO-856 I also created a small sample project for a Play integration of Olingo.
I just updated it from the latest SNAPSHOT I used to 4.3.0 and pushed it into this GitHub Repo.
You can take a look into the classes here: https://github.com/mibo/PlayOlingo4/tree/master/app/controllers

But as disclaimer this is just a PoC and not a best practice project, so please excuse the not perfect coding  ;o)

Kind Regards, Michael