Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Hribnak <hr...@nucleus.com> on 2002/02/13 17:36:54 UTC

Apache 1.3.23 Red Hat 6.2 kernel 2.2.19-6.2.7 and HTTP pausing for 1-5 mins

We started to get some weird pausing on our Virtual hosted Apache web
server.  Does any one have any ideas as to what could be happening, or where
to begin looking. I believe its a CGI script on one partiular site but that
have a lot of CGi running, the pausing happens randomly throughout the day,
pausing lasts from 1 to 5 minutes where the HTTP process will not accept any
requests, it comes back on its own, the HTTP process dies not die and
restart.  The rest of the server works fine (SMTP, SSH, FTP etc) during
these brief pauses.  In the logfile for the web server there is a break in
the log entries when the pausing starts.  This server also runs SUEXEC.
This server has been in operation for a year and a bit.

Below is the info from the server.

Server Version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) mod_throttle/3.1.2
Server Built: Jan 28 2002 13:16:55
API Version: 19990320:11
Run Mode: standalone
User/Group: www(502)/502
Hostname/port: xxx.xxxx.xxxxx:80
Daemons: start: 100    min idle: 50    max idle: 150    max: 512
Max Requests: per child: 100    keep alive: on    max per connection: 100
Threads: per child: 0
Excess requests: per child: 0
Timeouts: connection: 300    keep-alive: 15
Server Root: /etc/httpd
Config File: conf/httpd.conf
PID File: /var/run/httpd.pid
Scoreboard File: /var/run/httpd.scoreboard

---------------------------------------
Jim Hribnak
Manager Communication Services
Nucleus Inc.
403-209-0000

Re: Apache 1.3.23 Red Hat 6.2 kernel 2.2.19-6.2.7 and HTTP pausing for 1-5 mins

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi,
a bit late my post, I know - I had some days off.

Did you try to increase the value for MaxClients?
Your prob looks quite familiar to me.

Posted by Jim Hribnak <hr...@nucleus.com>.

Posted by Jim Hribnak <hr...@nucleus.com>.

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Jim Hribnak <hr...@nucleus.com>.
I thought of that as well, but there is no limits on Mod_Throttle, every
virtual host has
ThrottlePolicy None 0 256d set..  We were using it just to monitor bandwidth
and not actually throttling a connection.

I will try and remove it to see if that helps but that has been there for
ages as well.. This pausing started Jan 29 2002

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.