Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "John G. Weed" <no...@fastmail.com> on 2020/02/26 17:43:35 UTC

Apache Netbeans 11.2 Availablility for ARM64 (Raspberry Pi 4B)?

Does the download link Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh <https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/netbeans/netbeans/11.2/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh> ( SHA-512 <https://www.apache.org/dist/netbeans/netbeans/11.2/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh.sha512>, PGP ASC <https://www.apache.org/dist/netbeans/netbeans/11.2/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh.asc>) provide support for the ARM64 chip set, as is used by the Raspberry Pi 4B? Has been my experience that x64 downloads in general do not support ARM64 specifically.

Re: SOLVED: Apache Netbeans w/NetBeans 8.2 C/C++ plugin on Raspberry Pi 4B (ARM64) running Ubuntu 18.04.4/xubuntu

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
Very cool, thank you for sharing.  Makes me want to work with a Pi
again...it's been a while.

Carl J. Mosca

Re: SOLVED: Apache Netbeans w/NetBeans 8.2 C/C++ plugin on Raspberry Pi 4B (ARM64) running Ubuntu 18.04.4/xubuntu

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Well, I compiled NetBeans on slower systems. I suspect even a spinning
hard drive beats an SD card and even a 'weak' system becomes quite
good for work with an SSD.

If I were to buy some ARM gadgets nowadays I would also play with the
ROCKPro64 from https://www.pine64.org

--emi

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
I tend not to question the need for multiple versions of Java.

Only this week I found myself installing GraalVM Java 8 after something
would not work as a native-image with GraalVM Java 11.

Posted by "John G. Weed" <no...@fastmail.com>.

Posted by "John G. Weed" <no...@fastmail.com>.
All,

I am one to give credit where credit is due. Emilian was correct in as far as the basic C/C++ functionality does not require JDK 8. So I will amend my instructions to reflect that revelation. For my own circumstances, we still require the JDK 8 to have the software perform as expected. The reason is unclear, and probably not worth digging into a this point. I'm just elated to be able to run the same, identical software baseline on Ubuntu 18.04 on all of our Enterprise, Tactical and now pocket versions. I spent the afternoon testing the software and it performs better than expected. A few issues that require some attention but nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. I am elated!

Thanks so much everyone.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John G. Weed" <no...@fastmail.com>.
All,

 9. Using the Firefox browser, download file jdk-8u241-linux-arm64-vfp-hflt.tar.gz <https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase-jdk8-downloads.html#license-lightbox> from site URL https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase-jdk8-downloads.html

 12. Using the same Firefox browser, download file *Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh <https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/netbeans/11.2/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh>, **to the Downloads directory, **from site **URL ** https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/netbeans/netbeans/11.2/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh <https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/netbeans/11.2/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-linux-x64.sh>*

Re: Apache Netbeans 11.2 Availablility for ARM64 (Raspberry Pi 4B)?

Posted by Hans Grimmelshausen HG <Fa...@mail.de>.
Hello John,

I'd prefer the Pi Foundation's dedicated Raspbian on their Pi devices over
Ubuntu, because in contrast to Ubuntu, Raspbian is tailored for the Pi
architecture and hence runs smoother on the Pi, and out of the box, i.e. with
all the right hardware drivers and other tools (like raspi-config) in-place -
most of them developed by the Pi Foundation.

On x86 desktop machines I use Ubuntu (with Xfce), but Raspbian (with Xfce) on
the Pi. (I used to use Ubuntu on the Pi (with Xfce) for a few years, and it
was nice, but Raspbian is much more solid in my experience.)

Since both Ubuntu and Raspbian are Debian based, for us normal users the
important things, including the apt-get eco-system, do work the same way.
Including the installation of the XFCE desktop packages via apt-get install.

Also the newest Openjdk 11.0.6 runs very well on the Raspbian Pi (not sure
anymore if it was pre-installed, but a "sudo apt install openjdk-11-jdk" does
the job in any case), so everything should be ready for your Netbeans on Pi
experiment.

Good luck! Greetings,
Hans

Posted by Lister Jonathan <jo...@vaisala.com>.
I have used (embedded ARM) Java on many different Raspberry Pi models, starting with the original right up to the latest, and have always been satisfied, sometimes delighted, even with JavaFX projects.
A couple of tips that you may have already realized:
a) all models of Pi allow you to configure a (volatile) ram disc - much faster than using the SD card and avoids too many read/write cycles which can eventually damage the SD card.
b) later models (4) of the Pi support 2 x USB3 with a dedicated controller, max (combined) 480Mb/s - so you can easily connect and use fast non-volatile USB3 storage devices.
c) So far I haven't typically needed an IDE on the Pi but have instead used the NetBeans Remote Java SE feature that allows you to develop on a desktop and deploy / debug on the target device (Pi). Unfortunately NetBeans doesn't support Remote Java SE for maven based projects, only Ant projects - Maven support for Remote Java SE would be my top priority wish for future NB development ;-)

Good luck with the Pi,
Jonathan
Posted by Hans Grimmelshausen HG <Fa...@mail.de>.
Hello,

In NB 11's menu Tools -> Plugins, tab Settings, please enable in the left
option list the "Netbeans 8.2 Plugin Portal".
Then go to the tab "Available Plugins", press the update button and then
install the "C/C++" plug-in.
The C, C++, Fortran bits work then also under NB 11. (At least here on Debian
based Ubuntu Linux, where the GNU C compiler gcc is pre-installed.)

This could also work on a Pi's Raspbian Linux, but you would have to test it
first.

For standard Java 2 SE things, excluding the Profiler like Emilian wrote, NB
should work smoothly also on the Pi's Raspbian, too. At least it did when I
used it on a Pi3 some time ago.

For non-standard things like JavaFX, you would have to install JavaFX for the
ARM/Pi first. This part was easier with early JDK 8 versions, which came with
JavaFX included also on the Pi.

Another possibility to use NB for the Raspbian Pi, as long as you have a
"big" desktop machine running, would be to use NB's cool feature "Java
Platform" -> "Remote Java Standard Edition". This way NB runs on your "big"
desktop machine and just remote copies the project's classes/jars to the Pi
and starts it remotely there. But since a 4 GB RAM Pi4 is fast enough, I
think using NB directly on the Pi is much more straightforward.

Greetings,
Hans

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John G. Weed" <no...@fastmail.com>.