Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jiaan Zeng <l....@gmail.com> on 2014/02/10 22:13:27 UTC

impact of update operation to read operation

Hi All,

I am using Cassandra 1.2.4. I wonder if update operation has
*permanent* impacts on read operation. Below is the scenario.

Previously, a read only workload runs against one column family and
has 4000 qps. Later, a read-update mixed workload  runs against the
same column family. After that, the read only workload runs again but
it could not get 4000 qps, only get 3500 qps. After a manual major
compaction is issued through command line, the read only workload gets
3600 qps which seems to tell major compaction does not help much.

Did anyone have similar experiences? Any idea why this is happening? Thanks.

Jiaan

Re: impact of update operation to read operation

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.
Also, a major compaction doesn't flush the memtable. If the memtable is
still full, reads may take slightly longer as they may have to be merged
with any on-disk data before being served.

Posted by Tupshin Harper <tu...@tupshin.com>.