Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by "Hossack, Etienne" <eh...@amazon.com.INVALID> on 2021/08/13 20:57:42 UTC

Disaster Recovery + ActiveMQ 5 Mirroring Implementation

Hey all,

Lots of attention on disaster recovery recently in the cloud space, and with the dual mirror approach in Artemis via AMQP, I'm interested in doing some alignment.
We (Amazon MQ) would like to build a similar feature to Artemis AMQP mirrors into ActiveMQ 5.17.X (or later depending on release frequency).
I would also like to present high-level DR concepts clearly on the website, and for their respective docs (website page for ActiveMQ 5 docs, and extract+expand out the DR portion from AMQP in the Artemis docs).

To this end I created two Jiras AMQ-8354 and AMQ-8355 to encapsulate the work and facilitate implementation details - I can create an ARTEMIS issue too for the doc work if it’s best.

I’ve spoken to JB and Clebert about some thoughts and the mirror approach in general, and although I can’t say if the older codebase can support the exact same features - there's definitely some underlying technological differences between the brokers - but my strong preference is for a consistent approach between the two, and mirroring as a concept is not engine specific.

If anyone has suggestions or has already spent time thinking about this, I think the Jiras probably make the most sense for tech details - but wanted to let the dev list know about our intent first, and can summarize any following conversation on the list into the tickets.

Cheers,
Étienne Hossack
Software Development Engineer, Amazon MQ
email: ehossack@amazon.com<ma...@amazon.com>

[cid:0CFB4B72-BC66-42A8-953C-779D7FAE3DC0@amazon.com]

Re: Disaster Recovery + ActiveMQ 5 Mirroring Implementation

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
That was just a brain storm BTW.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Disaster Recovery + ActiveMQ 5 Mirroring Implementation

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

<eh...@amazon.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Lots of attention on disaster recovery recently in the cloud space, and
> with the dual mirror approach in Artemis via AMQP, I'm interested in doing
> some alignment.
> We (Amazon MQ) would like to build a similar feature to Artemis AMQP
> mirrors into ActiveMQ 5.17.X (or later depending on release frequency).
> I would also like to present high-level DR concepts clearly on the
> website, and for their respective docs (website page for ActiveMQ 5 docs,
> and extract+expand out the DR portion from AMQP in the Artemis docs).
>
> To this end I created two Jiras AMQ-8354 and AMQ-8355 to encapsulate the
> work and facilitate implementation details - I can create an ARTEMIS issue
> too for the doc work if it’s best.
>
> I’ve spoken to JB and Clebert about some thoughts and the mirror approach
> in general, and although I can’t say if the older codebase can support the
> exact same features - there's definitely some underlying technological
> differences between the brokers - but my strong preference is for a
> consistent approach between the two, and mirroring as a concept is not
> engine specific.
>
> If anyone has suggestions or has already spent time thinking about this, I
> think the Jiras probably make the most sense for tech details - but wanted
> to let the dev list know about our intent first, and can summarize any
> following conversation on the list into the tickets.
>
> Cheers,
> Étienne Hossack
> Software Development Engineer, Amazon MQ
> email: ehossack@amazon.com <eh...@amazon.com>
>

> --
Clebert Suconic