Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Timothy Murphy <ga...@eircom.net> on 2008/02/15 22:33:41 UTC

Newbie SVN question

I've read in several tutorials the advice
to create subdirectories trunk, branches and tags
for any project.
Is this really necessary?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Re: Newbie SVN question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 15, 2008, at 16:33, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I've read in several tutorials the advice
> to create subdirectories trunk, branches and tags
> for any project.
> Is this really necessary?

Nope. It's just a versioned filesystem. You can make directories and
files with any names you want.

trunk, branches, tags is just a convention, which lets you
conceptually make branches and tags of your trunk. If you don't have
any need for making branches or tags, you don't need those
directories, and then you don't need a trunk directory either. If you
later decide you do need them, you can always "svn move" things around.