Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shantanu Pavgi <pa...@uab.edu> on 2010/08/06 20:58:09 UTC

no response although process is running

I am running into an issue where tomcat is not responding to any requests, but server process appears to be running fine. Following is the system config:  CentOS 5.4, Sun JDK 1.5 and Tomcat 5.5.28 (not CentOS packaged, from tomcat site).

A tcpdump on http listener port shows activity when a request is received, but there is no activity in tomcat logs. I have enabled FastCommonAccessLogValve in server.xml and that doesn't show any requests as well. I had to restart tomcat to continue development activity and it is working fine now, but this has occurred many times in last couple of weeks. Any pointers on debugging this further would be really helpful? Any particular logging config that I should look into?

Shantanu.

RE: no response although process is running

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Shantanu Pavgi [mailto:pavgi@uab.edu]
> Subject: no response although process is running
>
> Any pointers on debugging this further would be
> really helpful?

Take a thread dump (several, actually), and see what's going on inside.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

 - Chuck