Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Cong Ding <cd...@confluent.io.INVALID> on 2022/06/01 17:10:24 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-827: Expose logdirs total and usable space via Kafka API

Thanks for the explanation. I think the question is that if we have disk
utilization in our environment, what is the use case for KIP-827? The disk
utilization in our environment can already do the job. Is there anything I
missed?

Thanks,
Cong

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cong,

Some of use cases I have in mind are more around validation that an
operation was successful.
- Let's say you trigger a reassignment to even out disk usage on some
brokers. Your tool will submit the reassignment and wait for
completion using the AlterPartitionReassignments and
ListPartitionReassignments APIs respectively. Once it is complete you
may want to check the new disk usage on your brokers to validate the
reassignment did what you wanted. In that case you'd only call
DescribeLogDirs once.

- A similar example is when resizing volumes. You typically will query
repetitively the API that handles the volume resize and at the end
make a single call to DescribeLogDirs to validate brokers indeed
picked up the updated volumes.

Thanks,
Mickael

Posted by Cong Ding <cd...@confluent.io.INVALID>.