Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/06/15 17:12:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] bugtracker thoughts

Hi folks:

Our recent discussion of patch processing started me thinking about
our bug tracker. Originally I had assumed we'd just migrate everything
that is currently at bugs.cloudstack.org, but I am beginning to
question if that is the best thing to do. Here are the issues that
cause me to doubt that:

* There is a ton of workflow that exists there today that has little
meaning to Apache CloudStack - for instance - most of the bugs have a
target with no context in Apache CloudStack - there is no Bonita,
Campo, or Burbank releases. This means it's some level of overhead
once it is imported to make it something usable.

* It's a non-trivial effort to get things migrated.

* On the upside, it looks like the Flex ticket stuff (~30k tickets)
has been imported to the test instance - and is undergoing review. So
it isn't impossible. But it does look like all of the information
about who reported, commented on an issue, etc gets lost. E.g. if you
reported a bug, you'd no longer get updates on that bug. If you were
assigned a bug, you'd likewise lose all of that information.
Here's a sample bug from the flex import on jira-test where all
actions have been renamed to AdobeJIRA.
https://issues.apache.org/jira-test/browse/FLEX-30471

Obviously it's dead easy to start a fresh instance on issues.a.o and
redirect bugs.cloudstack.org there, but then we also lose all of that
history......so what do folks think?

--David