Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2011/12/21 19:37:07 UTC

Droids report: needs IP clearance but already did a release?

Hi Incubator PMC,

At today's board meeting, we noticed that the Droid podling report
mentions "IP clearance" as its only step towards graduation, but
according to http://incubator.apache.org/droids/ it has already done a
release.

Could the mentors check that the release is ok w.r.t IP clearance?

Thanks,
-Bertrand

(intentionally writing to this list instead of to Droids directly: I
think this is the kind of issues that the Incubator PMC should handle,
and not the board directly)

Re: Droids report: needs IP clearance but already did a release?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Richard,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...At today's board meeting, we noticed that the Droid podling report
>> mentions "IP clearance" as its only step towards graduation, but
>> according to http://incubator.apache.org/droids/ it has already done a
>> release.
>>
>> Could the mentors check that the release is ok w.r.t IP clearance?
>>
> That shouldn't have been in there. The IP clearance has been taken care of.
> It was a Labs project, and everything else has come through from people with
> ICLAs or with the grant option in Jira. The IP clearance was marked complete
> in the clutch before the release. Thorsten, Ross, and I all confirmed that
> we were good before I marked it off...

Ok, thanks for clarifying!
-Bertrand

Re: Droids report: needs IP clearance but already did a release?

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 12/21/2011 12:37 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> At today's board meeting, we noticed that the Droid podling report
> mentions "IP clearance" as its only step towards graduation, but
> according to http://incubator.apache.org/droids/ it has already done a
> release.
>
> Could the mentors check that the release is ok w.r.t IP clearance?
>
> Thanks,
> -Bertrand
>
> (intentionally writing to this list instead of to Droids directly: I
> think this is the kind of issues that the Incubator PMC should handle,
> and not the board directly)

That shouldn't have been in there. The IP clearance has been taken care
of. It was a Labs project, and everything else has come through from
people with ICLAs or with the grant option in Jira. The IP clearance was
marked complete in the clutch before the release. Thorsten, Ross, and I
all confirmed that we were good before I marked it off. 3rd party
libraries were checked and we're good there as well. I'm not sure why it
wasn't removed from the report.

At this point the issue blocking graduation is community size. If it
were to graduate now as a TLP, the PMC would be rather small, probably
about 5 people. I seem to recall a discussion that 5 was enough of the
people were from a variety of places (not all one employer). If it were
to graduate into another TLP, that becomes less of an issue. However,
that practice seems to be out of favor now.