Posted to community@apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2003/01/30 08:27:11 UTC

FreeBSD Gear was ASF Colocation proposal

--On Wednesday, January 29, 2003 4:39 PM -0600 "O'brien, Tim"
<to...@transolutions.net> wrote:

> I don't know if anyone is interested in selling swag, but I found
> this: http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=freebsdgear  It is
> fairly easy to setup, and I believe one can customize the
> interface.

I see no indication of an official relationship between the FreeBSD
foundation and this FreeBSD Gear site.  The one problem with
CafePress is that it is really easy to set up fake sites leveraging a
brand name and profiting off that.  What I'm not seeing is a link
from freebsd.org to this site (and I'd expect to see it if it were
run by the foundation).

I know that McKusick retains copyright over the daemon image, but
does license it to commercial entities.

This is probably a reason why we need to have a blurb on our site
about Jinx so that it is recognized that we *do* endorse it and *do*
get money from it.  (I believe that might have even been a
stipulation in our contract.)  -- justin