Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu> on 2006/07/20 17:09:15 UTC

Utility to create upload bundles

Hi,

I recently had to add a bunch of 3d-party artifacts to our repository and creating the
poms with all the transitive dependencies by hand was a major pain in the a**. So I sat
down and wrote a little tool that takes a couple of jars as its input, analyzes the
dependencies, generates the poms and writes upload bundles for each artifact. It has a
rudimentary GUI that allows basic editing of the generated information for the poms.

The tool is currently not very polished and has much room for improvements but it is
useful and works for me. If there is interest in the community I will look for a place
where I can make the tool available to the public.

-Tim

Re: Utility to create upload bundles

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <li...@qos.ch>.
At 07:26 AM 7/22/2006, Tim Kettler wrote:
>Will see that I find a home for it. But this will probably take abaout a
>week or two.
>
>Ivo Limmen schrieb:
>>Sounds like a very usefull tool. I recently had the same problem, this would
>>have been a great help.
>>On 7/20/06, Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I recently had to add a bunch of 3d-party artifacts to our repository and
>>>creating the
>>>poms with all the transitive dependencies by hand was a major pain in the
>>>a**. So I sat
>>>down and wrote a little tool that takes a couple of jars as its input,
>>>analyzes the
>>>dependencies, generates the poms and writes upload bundles for each
>>>artifact. It has a
>>>rudimentary GUI that allows basic editing of the generated information for
>>>the poms.
>>>
>>>The tool is currently not very polished and has much room for improvements
>>>but it is
>>>useful and works for me. If there is interest in the community I will look
>>>for a place
>>>where I can make the tool available to the public.
>>>
>>>-Tim

Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/

Re: Utility to create upload bundles

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The same reason why you do it -- altough locally: to manage and initialize
some repository (eg. extNonFree or extFree) with new, "unmavenized"
artifacts. This could automate the repository fillup, no?

Have fun
~t~

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.
Brett Porter schrieb:
> This sounds interesting. How do you analyse the dependencies?

I initially experimented with JarJar Links and JarAnalyzer but they produced different
results for the same set of jars. So I wrote my own scanner on top of ASM.

I put a site for the project online: http://projects.wallabystreet.com/bundletool

> - Brett

-Tim

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
I use jaranalyzer for discovering dependencies between jars.
http://www.jroller.com/page/carlossg?entry=analyzing_jar_dependencies

On 7/23/06, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds interesting. How do you analyse the dependencies?
>
> I'd be interested in taking a look.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 22/07/06, Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu> wrote:
> > Will see that I find a home for it. But this will probably take abaout a week or two.
> >
> > Ivo Limmen schrieb:
> > > Sounds like a very usefull tool. I recently had the same problem, this
> > > would
> > > have been a great help.

> Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
> "Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/