Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com> on 2000/09/15 02:13:42 UTC

Which version of Ant for Struts?

Which version of Ant do I need to build Struts?

The Installation page on the web says "version 1.1 or later", while the
Struts README says "you *must* use a version later than the Ant 3.1
release". Now, the latter seems a bit off, since version 1.1 appears to be
the only Release build available. So is version 1.1 what I need?

I guess what I really want to know is whether version 1.1 is sufficient,
and if not, why not. I'm considering using Ant for my own project, but if I
do that, I really want to use a Release build, and not a nightly build.

Thanks!

--
Martin Cooper
Tumbleweed Communications

Re: Which version of Ant for Struts?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> At 05:36 PM 9/14/00 -0700, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> >Martin Cooper wrote:
> >
> > > Which version of Ant do I need to build Struts?
> >
> >Ant 1.1 should work just fine.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that it doesn't, now that the Struts documentation
> is in its new (XML/XSL) form. Although the Ant "style" task is documented
> in Ant 1.1, if I try to build Struts, I get a ClassNotFoundException
> because it can't find a class called
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.XalanLiaison. If I use the latest
> Ant nightly build, it works fine.

Ah, yes ... I need to update the Sruts docs.  The <style> task is optional, so
it must not be getting built in to the release distribution of Ant.

> --
> Martin Cooper
> Tumbleweed Communications

Craig

====================
                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: Which version of Ant for Struts?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> Which version of Ant do I need to build Struts?
>
> The Installation page on the web says "version 1.1 or later", while the
> Struts README says "you *must* use a version later than the Ant 3.1
> release". Now, the latter seems a bit off, since version 1.1 appears to be
> the only Release build available. So is version 1.1 what I need?

The "3.1" reference should really say "you *must* use a version of Ant later
than the one included in the Tomcat 3.1 release ...".

Ant 1.1 should work just fine.