Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jo...@iint.com on 2000/09/21 20:11:04 UTC

getParameter() issue

Hi,

I have been using Cocoon  technology with XML/XHTML and servlets in our work.

We know from basic HTML and servlets that if we do not have a particular field
(say a
text field) present in the HTML page and we issue an
HttpServletRequest.getParameter("fieldname")
in the servlet on that page, this method should return a Java  null.

However, I notice that when using Cocoon, the getParameter() method in such a
scenario
would return a  java String literal value of "null"   instead of  the Java null.

This could be confusing because we are actually getting a value instead of null.
A programmer
who is unaware of this will get bugs because his particular logic will be based
on a real null
instead of a String literal "null".

Is this a known feature of Cocoon  or is it a bug?  Has anyone encountered this
?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jose