Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Adam Gilmore <dr...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/30 03:44:00 UTC

DRILL-1257

Wanted to touch base to see what the status was of DRILL-1257.

We've run into a few instances where JSON/Mongo data is changing types and
Drill is unable to query it (e.g. a numeric type becomes a string type).

I know this is a pretty massive change with a lot of tough decisions to
make on how to handle that, but wanted to see what the roadmap looked like
- that is, is it in the near future?

At the moment I'm trying to work out some sort of temporary fix (i.e..
"upgrading" vectors, e.g. converting a float vector to varchar vector in my
above example).

As we're allowing users to run aggregations etc. against their data without
having knowledge of the schema, we can't really use "all_text_mode" and do
our own casting (apart from the huge performance degradation associated
with it).

Re: DRILL-1257

Posted by Adam Gilmore <dr...@gmail.com>.
Interesting.  I'm quite interested in how this would translate into the
creation of Parquet files too, considering Parquet as a format doesn't
support embedded types (as far as I know).  In our implementations, we have
ended up manually checking schemas first before Parquet creation (i.e.
splitting Parquet files).

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Re: DRILL-1257

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.