Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/11/02 18:51:13 UTC

couple questions

Over the past few weeks, I've seen two big concepts get booted out of
Subversion, but I either missed the discussion because of travel, or it
occurred offline.

1) directory-entry properties [vs node props and revision props]
2) libsvn_svr

I'm all for having both of these tossed, but I did want to ask for a bit of
clarification on the [current] rationale behind them going away. Was it as
simple as "we didn't see a need for those features, given our new,
enlightened thinking" ?

thx!
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: couple questions

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Matthew Braithwaite wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:51:02AM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> >
> > I was able to dig up the message about the dirent issue.  If we had
> > searchable mailing list archives on subversion.tigris.org, I might be
> > able to dig up more on the server layer issue. :-) Oh well.
>
> It is reasonably easy to get Google to search only a specified web site
> list.  Trouble is, the HTML <title> of every single message is something
> like ``Subversion.tigris.org - TView'', which makes Google nearly useless.
> Maybe if enough people complain it will be fixed.  I already have, but
> last I looked, the <title>s were still broken.

It'll be fixed in a month or so; major revamp of the underlying servlets
now taking place.

	Brian

Re: couple questions

Posted by Matthew Braithwaite <ma...@braithwaite.net>.

Searchable (htdig) archive of this list

Posted by Matthew Braithwaite <ma...@braithwaite.net>.
On 03 Nov 2000 09:51:02 -0600, Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net> said:

> I was able to dig up the message about the dirent issue.  If we had
> searchable mailing list archives on subversion.tigris.org, I might
> be able to dig up more on the server layer issue. :-) Oh well.

As a newcomer I feel the lack of searching pretty acutely, because I
often want to know if something has been discussed before.  So, I had
qmail cough up all the messages posted so far, indexed them with
MHonArc, and ht://dig.  The result is at

        http://www.red-bean.com/mab/svn-dev/

And everyone is welcome to use it. :-)

There is one major point of suckage:

  The ezmlm `get' command doesn't, by default, return the References:
  and In-Reply-To: headers.  So, the threading of old messages is by
  Subject: only.  If some kind soul wants to edit the `digheaders'
  file, I can snarf the messages again and fix this.  New messages
  should be threaded properly.

And one minor point of suckage:

  ht://dig indexes web pages, not mail messages, so it indexes all the
  MHonArc crap, and doesn't tell you about author and date in its
  search results.  But it's what I know.  If you know a better
  package, let me know.

Comments/requests to me, but anybody else with root on red-bean is
more than welcome to make fixes/enhancements without consulting me.
All you need is in ~mab/svn-dev.

Re: couple questions

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
Jim Blandy <ji...@zwingli.cygnus.com> writes:
> > But... since Karl is the lead, he should get the wrist-slap for not
> > communicating large changes :-)
>
> I hope you don't feel out of the loop.  I thought we had discussed
> this on the list.  There was certainly no intention to exclude you (or
> anyone, really).

Ditto.

I was able to dig up the message about the dirent issue.  If we had
searchable mailing list archives on subversion.tigris.org, I might be
able to dig up more on the server layer issue. :-) Oh well.

-K

Re: couple questions

Posted by Jim Blandy <ji...@zwingli.cygnus.com>.
> > Yep.  We're Enlightened, And You're Not(tm).
>
> Heh.
>
> Well, I can deal with that... I've certainly got no silly notion that I'm an
> Enlightened individual. You should see me after half a dozen margueritas :-)
>
> But... since Karl is the lead, he should get the wrist-slap for not
> communicating large changes :-)

I hope you don't feel out of the loop.  I thought we had discussed
this on the list.  There was certainly no intention to exclude you (or
anyone, really).

> > Second, it seemed to us that that libsvn_svr didn't have anything left
> > to do --- that it had apparently all been absorbed into mod_dav_svn.
> > Every responsibility assigned to it was something that Apache or
> > mod_dav_svn wanted to do itself.
>
> Well, I'm not sure about the term "wanted", but yah... _svr was looking
> awfully thin. We can certainly build mod_dav_svn and libsvn_fs, and then
> take a look and see if we want to rejigger the line and/or introduce a
> middle layer. But at the moment, the two are pretty tightly coupled around
> the SVN-FS API.

Exactly.  The thought was that we'd wait until we had a nice concrete
role for it before we tried to spec it.  :)

I think ACL's need to be part of the FS, actually.  Only the FS can
tell when certain controlled operations will happen.  (tentative conclusion)

Re: couple questions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 04:38:56PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > Over the past few weeks, I've seen two big concepts get booted out of
> > Subversion, but I either missed the discussion because of travel, or it
> > occurred offline.
> >
> > 1) directory-entry properties [vs node props and revision props]
> > 2) libsvn_svr
> >
> > I'm all for having both of these tossed, but I did want to ask for a bit of
> > clarification on the [current] rationale behind them going away. Was it as
> > simple as "we didn't see a need for those features, given our new,
> > enlightened thinking" ?
>
> Yep.  We're Enlightened, And You're Not(tm).

Heh.

Well, I can deal with that... I've certainly got no silly notion that I'm an
Enlightened individual. You should see me after half a dozen margueritas :-)

But... since Karl is the lead, he should get the wrist-slap for not
communicating large changes :-)

> First, we decided that we weren't going to worry about hard links for
> a long time.  That's the big, controversial decision.  In the absence
> of hard links, there's no distinction between directory entry
> properties and node properties.

Right. Sounds good.

> Second, it seemed to us that that libsvn_svr didn't have anything left
> to do --- that it had apparently all been absorbed into mod_dav_svn.
> Every responsibility assigned to it was something that Apache or
> mod_dav_svn wanted to do itself.

Well, I'm not sure about the term "wanted", but yah... _svr was looking
awfully thin. We can certainly build mod_dav_svn and libsvn_fs, and then
take a look and see if we want to rejigger the line and/or introduce a
middle layer. But at the moment, the two are pretty tightly coupled around
the SVN-FS API.

We have two other code bodies that will want to talk to the FS, and which
may need some functionality that fell into mod_dav_svn:

1) libsvn_ra_local
2) glue wrappers for scripting languages to talk to the FS

Those will probably cause any tweaking of the APIs and/or intro of new APIs.

Previous features of the SVR? Node-level ACLs, and possibly (script/hook)
plugins. With SVR gone, we need new locations for this stuff. mod_dav_svn is
fine, but libsvn_ra_local will need them, too. Maybe these items are sibling
libraries to FS?

> That's my recollection, anyway.  Surely Karl and Ben will jump in if
> I'm editing history too egregiously.

:-) ... Ben 'fessed up, too. Thanks for the clarification, guys!

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: couple questions

Posted by Jim Blandy <ji...@zwingli.cygnus.com>.

Re: couple questions

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> 1) directory-entry properties [vs node props and revision props]

Original Thinking:

  Dirents need their own properties.  For example, since node names
  are stored in dirents, we might want alternate names on different
  systems.

New, Enlightened Thinking:

  Someday, the filesystem may support hard links.  Until then, it's a
  waste of time to implement this.  Dir and file props are good
  enough, and it will be easy to add dirent props later.

> 2) libsvn_svr

Original Thinking:

  We need a "server" layer to allow any program to act like server.
  The server layer will provide administrators with meta-control over
  the server's behaviors, auth mechanisms, etc.  It will also act
  like a "big multiplexer", allowing clients access to different
  repositories.  It will also have a whole plugin API, so folks can
  extend the server's abilities.

New, Enlightened Thinking:

  There's nothing in that list above that Apache + mod_DAV can't do.
  :)