Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Ray Duong <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/20 16:25:29 UTC

Newbie Question - Error reading example files

Hi Hive Users.

I'm a newbie to hive so this might be a dumb configuration issue.  I am
trying to run Hive on Amazon EC2 and getting an error when attempting to
follow the sample script from the Hive wiki site.  I'm able to create and
load the data but not able to read the content of the file.  Was there a
step that I missed during the Hive startup?

Thanks,
-ray

Logging in to host ec2-75-101-208-214.compute-1.amazonaws.com.

         __|  __|_  )  Fedora 8
         _|  (     /    32-bit
        ___|\___|___|

 Welcome to an EC2 Public Image
                       :-)
    Base

[root@domU-12-31-39-00-89-56 ~]# ls
ec2-ami-tools-1.3-19974.noarch.rpm

cd /usr/local/hadoop-0.19.0/contrib/hive

[root@domU-12-31-39-00-89-56 hive]# bin/hive

hive> CREATE TABLE pokes (foo INT, bar STRING);
OK
Time taken: 12.545 seconds
hive> CREATE TABLE invites (foo INT, bar STRING) PARTITIONED BY (ds STRING);
OK
Time taken: 0.129 seconds
hive> LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH './examples/files/kv1.txt' OVERWRITE INTO TABLE
pokes;
Copying data from
file:/usr/local/hadoop-0.19.0/contrib/hive/examples/files/kv1.txt
OK
Time taken: 1.963 seconds
hive> select * from pokes;
FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:7 cannot recognize input '*'

Re: Newbie Question - Error reading example files

Posted by Ray Duong <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks that seems to work.

-ray

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.