Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2015/02/12 11:11:54 UTC

Geospatial APIs ad hoc in OGC meeting next month

Hello all

The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) will have a Geospatial APIs ad hoc
session in Barcelona (Spain) on Wednesday, 11 March, from 9:00 to 10:25
[1]. This is a new initiative, of wider scope than GeoAPI (a separated
session for GeoAPI will happen the same day, 12:00 to 12:55).

OGC has been focussed on data formats (XML, NetCDF, GeoTIFF) and Web
Services for the last years. GeoAPI is a very minor project compared to
other OGC standards. However there is needs for a geospatial API, as
seen from various projects using the XSD files for this purpose. There
is questions about whether OGC should care about programmatic API, or
keep his current focus on data formats and web services mostly.

I think that the technical discussion will be kept to a minimum (just
enough for understanding the problems of current situation). In my
understanding, the main purpose of the "Geospatial APIs ad hoc" session
is to determine if OGC should move to an official position statement.
This question has been raised by discussions in the OCC Planning
Committee (PC).

We are going to give a talk in this discussion for explaining GeoAPI.
Apache SIS is currently the main "proof of concept" for GeoAPI 3.0. Does
anyone consider comming to this OGC meeting and would like to
participate to this session? By the way, the schedule is very full [1],
so this meeting is likely to be quite instructive.

    Martin

[1] http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503tcagenda

Re: Geospatial APIs ad hoc in OGC meeting next month

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Thanks a lot Chris!

The next meeting after Barcelona will be in Boulder (Colorado) in June.
Maybe there will be some follow-up there (I'm not sure yet if I will be
able to go).

Martin