Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by syamala parvatam <sy...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/04 06:12:20 UTC

QA volunteer

Hi Rob,

 I would like to volunteer for testing activities. I would like to test on
windows 7.
I have subscribed to the qa mailing list, created an account on bugzilla &
test link.
Please assign me some tasks that could be tested on my OS.

Regards
Sai

Re: QA volunteer

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM, syamala parvatam <sy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,

Hello Sai,

Good job.  As you now see, the reports we receive from users are of
variable quality.  Some are well-thought out and detailed.  Others are
vague or inscrutable.  And others are a cry for help.  One of the
challenges of QA is to find the real defects, where they exist,
improve the descriptions if needed, suggest a prioritization for the
defect, and mark them as "confirmed" so the programmers can take a
look.

As you see, only a fraction of the reports are confirmed

> I have confirmed bugs 121305,121231,119038.

Excellent.

> The bugs 120375,119528, 121714 describe no defect/bug. So I haven't
> confirmed them.

We don't want to leave defect reports in the unconfirmed state.  If
they are not bugs, then what are they?

Maybe:

-- Requests for a new feature?  If so, change the "issue type" field
to "Feature".

-- Request an enhancement to an existing feature?  If so, change the
"issue type" to "Enhancement"

-- A support request, a "how to" question?  If you can answer it
quickly, go ahead.  Otherwise, refer the user to the support forums at
http://forum.openoffice.org and close the issue as Resolved/Invalid

-- The behavior the user sees is correct application behavior, but
they misunderstood it?  Briefly explain to the user and close the
issue as Resolved/Invalid.

-- You are not able to reproduce the bug and the user is not able to
help you reproduce it?  Close as Resolved/Irreproducible.

So one way or another, we always want to be moving the issues forward
toward resolution.

120375 -- The user says, "I observed that the text boxes I previously
mentioned were “squished” by the margin, rendering them distorted.".
So he seems to be describing something wrong.  Is this not a bug?  (I
don't know, I didn't try it).  If not a bug then perhaps this should
be closed as Resolved/Invalid?

119528 -- I have no idea what the user is reporting.  It is too brief.
 I'd recommend adding a comment asking him to explain in more detail
what problem he is running into.  And then add "needsmoreinfo" to the
keyword field.

121714 -- This looks like an enhancement request -- He wants a new
clipboard format that is similar to CSV

> For the bugs 121716 and 119226, I requested the users for more information.

Good.

> The bugs 121698 and 121477 need a printer to test with, I do not have one so
> could not test it, sorry!

OK.  I took your name off those two.  I'll try to sure not to send you
printer-related ones in the future.

> Please provide inputs to improve myself and also assign more tasks to work
> on (not so complicated ones as i'm only an amateur in testing).

I think this was a really good job for a new tester.  If you can take
another look at the three that you said were not bugs, and try to move
them ahead, I'll send you another set of reports to investigate.

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: QA volunteer

Posted by syamala parvatam <sy...@gmail.com>.