Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jack <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/02 12:22:44 UTC

datanode's write_block_op_avg_time value

Hi,
I check the datanode's write_block_op_avg_time on my cluster. It turns
out the value of write_block_op_avg_time is about 20000ms. Is that
normal ? The replication is 3.

Regards,
Jack

Re: datanode's write_block_op_avg_time value

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
What are you finding alarming w.r.t. your cluster?

The metric is simple: When did the write start, and when did it finally
end, for a single block? The difference is the writeBlockOp time. The
average is over a varied collection, which is what you're looking at.

Are your jobs I/O bound? If so, I'd consider that low if the block sizes
are small (64m/128m/256m say). If your jobs or services are CPU/Load bound,
then such a metric makes lesser sense as a block completes only much later
(for example, HBase WALs during no-write periods still keep block write
connection open, bloating up these numbers).

--
Harsh J

Re: datanode's write_block_op_avg_time value

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: datanode's write_block_op_avg_time value

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: datanode's write_block_op_avg_time value

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J