Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by js...@odshp.com on 2002/05/02 23:00:29 UTC

Re: Simple Servlet Deployment Problem

"David Sean Taylor" says:
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <registry>
> >     <portlet-entry name="HelloPortlet" hidden="false" type="ref"
> >             <title>HelloPortlet</title>
> >             <description>My Portlet Example</description>
> >         <classname>mypackage.HelloPortlet<classname>
> >         <media-type ref="html"/>
> >     </portlet-entry>
> > </registry>
>
> Sure youre not getting errors in the log?

I was looking in <jetspeed>/logs where there are no files.  Actually
in <jetspeed>/WEB-INF/log/* I find this:

jetspeed.log:[Thu May 02 13:45:54 PDT 2002] -- ERROR -- Could not unmarshal: /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/conf
/helloPortlet.xreg
jetspeed.log:[Thu May 02 13:52:09 PDT 2002] -- ERROR -- Could not unmarshal: /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/conf
/helloPortlet.xreg

Something wrong with my xreg file I take it?  This is getting closer!

> Perhaps this is one of those email formatting errors, but 2 things look
> suspect:
>
>      <portlet-entry name="HelloPortlet" hidden="false" type="ref"
>
> 1. No ending ">" on your portlet-entry

You're right!  No, I entered it incorrectly.  My mistake.  I fixed
this, and got the above log message.

> 2. It's a "ref", but where is its "parent"?

If I could trouble you for a bit more detail, how should this read?
The instructions in the tutorial say the following.  There's no
"parent".

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <registry>
       <portlet-entry name="HelloWorld" hidden="false" type="instance" application="false">
               <title>HelloWorld</title>
               <description>Portlet How To Example 1 Hello World</description>
           <classname>com.bluesunrise.portal.portlets.HelloWorldPortlet</classname>
           <media-type ref="html"/>
       </portlet-entry>
   </registry>

> > 5) Added [tomcat webapps dir]/jetspeed/WEB-INF/classes to the
> > CLASSPATH (not needed?)
>
> Not necessary

Thanks, that's what I thought.

General question - I assume that there are additional ready-made
portlets out there someplace.  Do people make use of these, or do most
people tend to work on their own from scratch?  Also, which is the
more desirable approach, or at least most common, portlets or jsp?

All I really want at the moment is to offer users a menu of data
"views" and links to pick from off a customized homepage.  I can
create the data via servlets and cocoon running off at the other ends
of URLs.  I have a lot of that now, I just want to allow users to
customize a page.

Thanks!

--
Jeff Sexton