Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/12/08 11:45:20 UTC

welcome to four new PMC members

The Commmunity Development PMC has voted to accept the following
people as PMC members.

Kathey Marsden
Isabel Drost
Noel Bergman
Nick Burch

I'll action the necessary "paperwork" ASAP. In the meantime, welcome
and thanks for your support.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: welcome to four new PMC members

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Tue Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'll action the necessary "paperwork" ASAP. In the meantime, welcome
> and thanks for your support.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Over at Lucene we have the tradition of
new committers introducing themselves briefly. As comdev is still very
young and I joined only recently, I'd like to start with myself,
hoping for others to maybe join in:

After studying computer science at the small university of applied
sciences Mittweida, I was working for HU Berlin in 2003. One year later
I started using nutch, back then still a project hosted on sourceforge.
At about that time I got adicted to doing open source work: I joined
Google for an internship in 2005, continued working with nutch, Lucene
and friends after that. In summer 2007 the idea of Apache Mahout, a
project focused on natural language processing, machine learning, data
mining at large scale was born. After getting people from industry,
open source and academia interested very quickly the project was
founded as a sub project of Lucene in 2008. Since my involvement in
Apache somehow happened to steadily grow bigger and bigger - no idea,
how on earth this could happen ;)

Today, I am organizing the Apache Hadoop Get Together in Berlin on a
regular basis, I got a NoSQL meetup started together with Jan Lehnardt
over at CouchDB, I try to get people interested in Mahout both by
  a) contributing to discussions on its mailing lists.
  b) contributing code
  c) talking to people about the project at various conferences,
     university groups, meetups, user groups to the extend that people
     close to me have started asking me whether there is anything
     else apart from Hadoop and Lucene I am interested in ;)

Together with a research group at TU Berlin I have started an
experimental course with the goal of working with Mahout, developing
extensions and get them back into the project. Really curious what the
final results will be. So far, I have seen at least two students on
Mahout, Hadoop and HBase mailing lists. If you want to follow us:
http://www.github.com/MaineC/Playground is the project used for
organizing the course.

I am looking forward to helping lower the bar for newcomers to get into
Apache projects and learning what other Apache projects do to extend
their community and keep it healthy.

Isabel

Re: welcome to four new PMC members

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The Commmunity Development PMC has voted to accept the following
>> people as PMC members.
>>
>> Kathey Marsden
>> Isabel Drost
>> Noel Bergman
>> Nick Burch
>
> Congrats and welcome!
> -Bertrand

Congratulations, and a very warm welcome !

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: welcome to four new PMC members

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> The Commmunity Development PMC has voted to accept the following
> people as PMC members.
>
> Kathey Marsden
> Isabel Drost
> Noel Bergman