Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Foy <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2010/03/05 09:22:51 UTC

IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Hi guys,

I have a need for IIS 7 to
load 32-bit Tomcat connector since for some reason our 64-bit Tomcat
connector works in some way but not completely behave same as IIS 6 / 32-bit
 connector. I got following error
Calling LoadLibraryEx on ISAPI filter "D:\Tomcat\Jakarta Isapi
Redirector\bin\isapi_redirect.dll" failedAny suggestions are so
welcome since I am really desperate.

  Here is what I have
done:

 1) Run the following cmd

 c:\Windows\System32\inetsrv>cscript

 %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.v
bs set
w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1
 2) Here is a part of
applicationHost.config. And I made sure the Tomcat connector(Jakarta) in
 the config has the bitness=32.

<customMetadata>
            <key
path="LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/jakarta">

                <property id="2102" dataType="String" userType="100"
attributes="Inherit" value="jakarta" />

                <property id="6039" dataType="DWord" userType="2"
attributes="Inherit" value="0" />

            </key>

            <key path="LM/W3SVC/1/FILTERS/jakarta">

                <property id="2044" dataType="DWord" userType="1"
attributes="None" value="524288" />

            </key>

        </customMetadata>

       <sites>

 <site name="Default Web Site" id="1">

<application path="/">
                    <virtualDirectory
 path="/" physicalPath="%SystemDrive%\inetpub\wwwroot" />

 </application>
                <application
path="/jakarta" applicationPool="DefaultAppPool">

                    <virtualDirectory path="/"
physicalPath="D:\Tomcat\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\bin" />

                </application>

                <bindings>
                    <binding
protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:80:" />

</bindings>
            </site>

<siteDefaults>
                <logFile logFormat="W3C"
directory="%SystemDrive%\inetpub\logs\LogFiles" />

 <traceFailedRequestsLogging
directory="%SystemDrive%\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles" />

 </siteDefaults>
            <applicationDefaults
applicationPool="DefaultAppPool" />

<virtualDirectoryDefaults allowSubDirConfig="true" />

</sites>
         <isapiFilters>

<filter name="ASP.Net_2.0.50727.0"
path="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll"
enableCache="true" preCondition="bitness32" />

<filter name="ASP.Net_2.0.50727-64"
path="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll"
enableCache="true" preCondition="bitness64" />

<filter name="Jakarta" path="D:\Tomcat\Jakarta Isapi
Redirector\bin\isapi_redirect.dll" preCondition="bitness32" />

        </isapiFilters>

<isapiCgiRestriction notListedIsapisAllowed="true"
notListedCgisAllowed="false">
                <clear />

 <add
path="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll"
allowed="true" groupId="ASP.NET v2.0.50727" description="ASP.NET
v2.0.50727" />
                <add
path="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll"
allowed="true" groupId="ASP.NET v2.0.50727" description="ASP.NET
v2.0.50727" />
                <add path="D:\Tomcat\Jakarta
Isapi Redirector\bin\isapi_redirect.dll" allowed="true"
groupId="Jakarta" description="Jakarta Isapi Redirector" />

            </isapiCgiRestriction>

     <location
path="Default Web Site">
        <system.webServer>

 <isapiFilters>
                <clear />

 <filter name="jakarta" path="D:\Tomcat\Jakarta Isapi
Redirector\bin\isapi_redirect.dll" enabled="true"
preCondition="bitness32" />

            </isapiFilters>

</system.webServer>
    </location>

<location path="Default Web Site/jakarta">

        <system.webServer>

            <handlers accessPolicy="Execute" />

        </system.webServer>

    </location>
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/

Re: IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jason,

Jason Foy wrote:

> That is actually what I meant. IIS 7 is supposed to send the javascript back to person1's web browser.

You have to be more precise about how this works.
I am not trying to split hairs, just to understand precisely what may be
happening.
Because the IIS/Tomcat connector, by itself, is not touching the
/content/ of html pages (or javascript libraries) which are being sent
from the server to the browser.

In this case :
We have a javascript function "receiveText()" which is /defined/ in some
parent window, and being /called (executed)/ by a child window.
And something is not working.

So how is this javascript function defined (or not defined) in the
parent window ?

- is it "embedded" inside of the html of the parent window, like :
.. some html ..
<script>
function receiveText() {
}
</script>

- or is it supposed to be loaded by the parent window's html like this :
<script language="javascript" src="/some/link/to/javascript.js">
</script>

If it is the second, then it is a separate file on the server somewhere,
which the browser will request from the server using a separate HTTP
request to get it.
Then maybe this HTTP request fails for some reason, and the function is
never loaded in the parent window.
One reason could be that the javascript file is not there where you
think it is, or that its permissions do not allow the user (or the
server) to get it.

It would probably help you to use a browser add-on such as Fiddler2 (for
IE) or HttpFox (for Firefox), to find out if all calls to the server are
succesful.

Re: IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jason Foy wrote:
> I want to make this more clear.
mmm. ;-)
The chat client sends HTTP get to web
> server to initate a chat session.

Ok, who/what is the "chat client" ? is it a browser ? is it something
running in a browser ?

  In the back end, java servlet gets
> this request and form a loop to prevent the session from
> ending,meanwhile spawn another thread to connect to person2 using plain
> socket.

Who/what is "person2" ? it cannot be a browser, because a browser is not
opening a socket to "listen" to incoming requests.
And how does this other thread connect to that "person2" ? does it have
a table with "name = ipaddress:port" to know what to connect to ?

Person1 use HTTP Post to send a text. Person2 sends the data to
> servlet through a socket.

Which socket ? the same one that was opened (to person2) by the
additional servlet thread mentioned above ?

The servlet sends the javascript to IIS 7 via ISAPI.

So, "chat client #1" connects to the HTTP server and sends a HTTP GET
request to initiate the session.  Then it waits for a response,
supposedly a html page "containing"
- a parent window containing a <script></script> section which contains
the function receiveText()
- a child window which calls this function and displays the retrieved text

The server gets this request; somehow it opens a connection with "chat
client #2" which is not a browser. And then it sends back a html
response to "chat client #1", which is this html page mentioned above.

But "chat client #1" never gets the javascript part of this html page.

The javascript should be delivered to chat client's web browser and web
browser execute this javascript and display the message on chat client's
chat window.

The problem is I don't know where the javascript packet is lost.

Neither do I, if really that javascript section is included inside of a
html page that "chat client #1" does receive.
If chat client #1 receives the html page, then it should also receive
the javascript that is inside it, no ?

Honestly, so far I do not see what the connector or Tomcat can have to
do with this.  The connector is certainly not stripping selectively one
section out of a html response page.
Maybe you should look closer at your servlet, why it is not sending it ?

Again, get a browser plugin to /really/ see what "chat client #1" is
sending and receiving from the webserver.
Until you do that, and really see what is happening, you will be in the
dark, and me too.

RE: IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Posted by Jason Foy <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Forgot to mention the javascript function is defined in the same html page.

Posted by Jason Foy <ja...@hotmail.com>.
I want to make this more clear. The chat client sends HTTP get to web
server to initate a chat session. In the back end, java servlet gets
this request and form a loop to prevent the session from
ending,meanwhile spawn another thread to connect to person2 using plain
socket. Person1 use HTTP Post to send a text. Person2 sends the data to
servlet through a socket. The servlet sends the javascript to IIS 7 via ISAPI. The javascript should be delivered to chat client's web browser and web browser execute this javascript and display the message on chat client's chat window. The problem is I don't know where the javascript packet is lost. I am doing this to prevent from chat client's polling mechanism to see if a message is sent from the other end. The push thing works great in our windows 2003 system and message is delivered to chat client instantly.

> From: jason12366@hotmail.com
> To:
users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: RE: IIS 7 is unable to load
32-bit Tomcat connector
> Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:58:44 -0500
>

> Andre,
>

> That is
actually what I meant. IIS 7 is supposed to send the javascript back to
person1's web browser. You are correct that the parent frame will
execute the received javascript. The problem here is that IIS 7 does not
 send the received data from ISAPI filter. I used wireshark on person1's
 machine and web server machine. The wireshark log indicates that the
javascript statement was not even sent from IIS server. The question I
would want to know who lost the data. Does ISAPI filter have problem to
send to IIS 7 even though the ISAPI log indicates sending is successful,
 or IIS 7 for some reason decided not send back to client's web browser?
 Any idea is really welcome!

> Thanks,
>

> Jason
>

> > Date: Fri, 5 Mar
 2010 15:49:37 +0100
users@tomcat.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: IIS 7 is unable to
load 32-bit Tomcat connector

> > Jason Foy wrote:
>
 > > Hi Turk,
> > >

> > > I forgot the wow64 entry. Now it is working. You
 are absolutely right. The 64-bit and 32-bit do behave the same. Now I
don't know what to do any more. I have a chatting application working
well on windows 2003/IIS6(32-bit). The chatting application enables
person1 to talk to person2 using standard HTTP and push technology. When
 I moved it to windows 2008/IIS7(64-bit), the person2 can receive all
messages from person1 but person1 cannot receive any messages back. The
difference is that person1 to person2 is HTTP post and person2 to
person1 is push(Javascript push). I saw the ISAPI filter logged the
javascript statement and said it sent to client successfully but person1
 does not receive it. I used wireshark on the person1 machine and the
web server machine. No such info is logged in wireshark.. Here is the
trace printed out in the isapi log:

> > > For better readablity: the
following is to transmit
"<script.language=JavaScript>parent.receiveText('TestMsg1')</script>

Under the windows 2003, the javascript will be received by person1's web
 browser and execute it. but on windows 2008, this line is not even able
 to send to person1. Do you have any idea how this could happen? I am
desperate needing help.

> With all respect, I believe that you may be a bit confused.
>
 > Web servers do not execute javascript. Web browsers do.
>
> This :

"<script.language=JavaScript>parent.receiveText('TestMsg1')</script>"

 > is never sent to the server, nor executed by it.
> > (It
may be sent by the server to a browser, as part of a html page

> however; but that is not the same thing).
> >

> At a guess, this is executed by the browser, inside a frame (or
iframe),
> > and it calls a javascript function
"receiveText()" defined in the parent
> > window which
contains this frame.
> > And this function, directly or
indirectly, does a POST or a GET to the
> > server, to get the
 message text.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469228/direct/01/

RE: IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Posted by Jason Foy <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Andre,

That is actually what I meant. IIS 7 is supposed to send the javascript back to person1's web browser. You are correct that the parent frame will execute the received javascript. The problem here is that IIS 7 does not send the received data from ISAPI filter. I used wireshark on person1's machine and web server machine. The wireshark log indicates that the javascript statement was not even sent from IIS server. The question I would want to know who lost the data. Does ISAPI filter have problem to send to IIS 7 even though the ISAPI log indicates sending is successful, or IIS 7 for some reason decided not send back to client's web browser? Any idea is really welcome!

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 03/05/2010 05:30 PM, Jason Foy wrote:

> Hi Mladen :)
>
> I went to IIS 7 and unchecked both "Enable cache" and "Enable kernal cache" and did iisreset. It still not working. Any other ideas? Hopefully I am not asking you too much.

No idea. Try with some console client like curl or wget if possible

isapi_redirect said it wrote the data (and IIS didn't report any error)
so I'm clueless. Any errors in the IIS logs? Data should have ended somewhere :)

Regards
--
^TM

RE: IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Posted by Jason Foy <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Mladen :)

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Foy <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Turk,

[...]

Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_isapi_plugin.c (1207): Wrote 114 bytes of data successfully
[Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1259): received from ajp13 pos=0 len=72 max=8192
[Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1259): 0000    03 00 44 3C 73 63 72 69 70 74 20 6C 61 6E 67 75  - ..D<script.langu
[Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1259): 0010    61 67 65 3D 4A 61 76 61 53 63 72 69 70 74 3E 70  - age=JavaScript>p
[Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1259): 0020    61 72 65 6E 74 2E 72 65 63 65 69 76 65 54 65 78  - arent.receiveTex
[Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1259): 0030    74 28 27 54 65 73 74 4D 73 67 31 27 29 3B 3C 2F  - t('TestMsg1');</
[Fri Mar 05 09:09:26.794 2010] [7040:11432] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1259): 0040    73 63 72 69 70 74 3E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - script>.........

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/

Re: IIS 7 is unable to load 32-bit Tomcat connector

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.