Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk> on 2004/08/10 11:02:38 UTC

Test suite for Axis C++

Hi,

I'm going to add a testsuite to $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build folder

When run with a wsdl as parameter this will simple generate the client
stubs for the wsdl and build with a pre-prepared file including the main
method and execute it. It will compare the result with the correct
result expected and prints the success status.

We can put all the wsdls in the wsdl folder there and run all the
tests for the wsdls in one run.
For details please refer to the Readme file there.

Special thanks go to Adrian Dick and John Howkins for providing Axis C++
this invaluble test suite.

thanks
damitha

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
--- damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is extremely important that we have a good test suite for testing and
> I have added several tests into it.
>
> When you want to add a new test please be aware of the following simple
> steps.
>
> 1. Write the cpp file containing your main method of access and put
>    it in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto-build/testcases/client/cpp
>     NOTES: Each client cpp file must have the same basename as the
>     WSDL  file plus Client.
>     Example: SimpleTypeArray.wsdl -> SimpleTypeArrayClient.c[pp]
>
> 2. Put the wsdl you hope to test in
>    testcases/wsdls
>
> 3. Give the server and port running the webservice in
>    testcases/platform/linux/test.config file
>
> 4. Add the following entry into the testcases/runAllTests.sh
>
>    runTestCase.sh wsdls/<your-wsdl-name.wsdl c++
>    [[ $? -eq 0 ]] && passed=$(($passed + 1))

Instead of hard coding the files names here, we could make the script pick this from wsdls folder.
(Using a while loop)
e.g.
 ls wsdls | while read X; do runTestCase.sh $X c++; done

This way we just need to copy the wsdl file and no need to edit the shell script.

> 5. cd to testcases and run runAllTests.sh
>    You will have a new folder creaed in testcases/build folder with the
>    same name as the client cpp file name.
>    First time you should get run FAIL message. That's because you still
>    does not have a .out file indicating your expected result. We will
>    create this in the next step
>
> 7. in testcases/build/<automaticall creaed your client folder> you will
>    see a file named <Your client file name>.cpp.out
>    Copy this file into testcases/output

I suppose this copying too could be automated.

> 8. run runAllTests.sh again. This time you should get your test passed
>    with SUCCESS.
>    This time the build/<Your client file name>.cpp.out matchs correctly
>    with the pre created output in testcases/output

This does not make sense to me. Sounds like we create it once and compare it with generating the
same again. How can we verify the first copy to be correct?

Samisa...

> For more information pleaser read testcases/Readme
>
> thanks
> damitha
>
> On Wed, 2
> 004-08-18 at 19:43, damitha kumarage wrote:
> > Yes, Please Do
> >
> > thanks
> > damitha
> > On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 19:43, Andrew Perry2 wrote:
> > >

> > > The web services called by these tests are written in java for websphere
> > > 5.0.2. Will it be worthwhile for me to put the ear file, which also
> > > contains all the source, into CVS for this project?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Andrew Perry
> > > Clients for Web Service Stack
> > > perryan@uk.ibm.com
> > > Mail Point 102
> > > IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
> > > Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
> > > Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080
> > >

> > >              damitha@opensourc
> > >              e.lk
> > >              14/08/2004 04:35          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
> > >                                        <ax...@ws.apache.org>
> > >                                                                         cc
> > >              Please respond to
> > >               "Apache AXIS C                                       Subject
> > >              Developers List"          Re: Test suite for Axis C++

> > > cc

> > > Subject
> > > >

> > > Oh, I see
> > > I completely forgot windows.
> > > Yes something has to be done.
> > > auto-build/testcases should be fine.
> > > I'll do that.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > damitha

> > > cc
> > > >

> > > Subject

=== message truncated ===

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Hi,

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Yes, Please Do

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 09:23, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> Hi Damitha,
>     I have few ideas on the test scripts.
>
> 1. In platform/linux/buildTestCase.sh wsdl tool is built using ant for each and
> every test case. Would it not be better to make it one off?

Although ant run for each test case it actually does not make a full
build each time(As you can see from build logs). Still what you
say is correct.

> 2/ The test suite assumes that I will have my Jars in the place it has hard coded
> (${AXISCPP_HOME}/lib/axisjava).I would like it to use my own CLASSPATH setting.

I'll consider this

> 3. Is it possible to have a compile only opion?

I'll consider this

thanks
damitha

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Samisa,

I greatly appreciate your feedback and I'll incorporate your changes
as soon as the release1.3 alpha burden is off.

Tbanks
damitha

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Damitha,

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Damitha,

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by Andrew Perry2 <PE...@uk.ibm.com>.

The web services called by these tests are written in java for websphere
5.0.2. Will it be worthwhile for me to put the ear file, which also
contains all the source, into CVS for this project?

Regards

Andrew Perry
Clients for Web Service Stack
perryan@uk.ibm.com
Mail Point 102
IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080

             damitha@opensourc
             e.lk
             14/08/2004 04:35          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
                                       <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
              "Apache AXIS C                                       Subject
             Developers List"          Re: Test suite for Axis C++

> Hi,
>
> Why has the automated test suite been placed into the linux subtree of
> $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build?
>
> I'm assuming you're not intending on creating a whole subtree for each
> test
> platform, as all the tests should be suitably platform independent with
> the
> environment being appropriately configured by the scripts in
> ..../testcases/platform/....
>
> I feel the current use of $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/linux may cause
> confusion, is there any possibility the linux directory be dropped or
> renamed?
>

> Adrian
> _______________________________________
> Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)
>

>              John
>              Hawkins/UK/IBM@IB
>              MGB
>                                        "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
>              10-08-04 10:08            <ax...@ws.apache.org>

cc

Re: Test suite for Axis C++

Posted by Andrew Perry2 <PE...@uk.ibm.com>.

I am looking into re-structuring these tests to use cppunit.
Does anyone have an opinion whether cppunit is the right tool to use for FV
testing in this environment? It will obviously lead to a dependency on
cppunit, but I don't think that this will be a problem.

Regards

Andrew Perry
Clients for Web Service Stack
perryan@uk.ibm.com
Mail Point 102
IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080

             damitha@opensourc
             e.lk
             14/08/2004 04:35          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
                                       <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
              "Apache AXIS C                                       Subject
             Developers List"          Re: Test suite for Axis C++

> Hi,
>
> Why has the automated test suite been placed into the linux subtree of
> $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build?
>
> I'm assuming you're not intending on creating a whole subtree for each
> test
> platform, as all the tests should be suitably platform independent with
> the
> environment being appropriately configured by the scripts in
> ..../testcases/platform/....
>
> I feel the current use of $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/linux may cause
> confusion, is there any possibility the linux directory be dropped or
> renamed?
>

> Adrian
> _______________________________________
> Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)
>

>              John
>              Hawkins/UK/IBM@IB
>              MGB
>                                        "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
>              10-08-04 10:08            <ax...@ws.apache.org>

cc

>              Please respond to
Subject
>               "Apache AXIS C           Re: Test suite for Axis C++
>              Developers List"

Oh, I see
I completely forgot windows.
Yes something has to be done.
auto-build/testcases should be fine.
I'll do that.

thanks
damitha

> Hi,
>
> fyi:
> This suite was created originally by Jean -Yves, and automated and
> enhanced
> by Andrew Perry. We've used it here for some time and it's quite stable.
>

> John Hawkins
>

>              damitha kumarage
>              <damitha@opensour
>              ce.lk>
>                                        axis-c-dev@ws.apache.org
>              10/08/2004 10:02
cc

Subject
>              Please respond to         Test suite for Axis C++
>               "Apache AXIS C
>              Developers List"
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to add a testsuite to $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build folder
>
> When run with a wsdl as parameter this will simple generate the client
> stubs for the wsdl and build with a pre-prepared file including the main
> method and execute it. It will compare the result with the correct
> result expected and prints the success status.
>
> We can put all the wsdls in the wsdl folder there and run all the
> tests for the wsdls in one run.
> For details please refer to the Readme file there.
>
> Special thanks go to Adrian Dick and John Howkins for providing Axis C++
> this invaluble test suite.
>
> thanks
> damitha

Re: Test suite for Axis C++