Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Delbert D. Franz" <dd...@lka.com> on 2004/02/24 03:13:48 UTC

Global-ignores active on import!

It became necessary to redesign the repository on one of my
major projects.  As a result, some files not under version
control were now placed under version control.
The files under the old design that were not under
version control were included in the global-ignore
list in the user-config file.

I forgot to remove these files/extensions from this
global-ignore list and found that this list is
not only used for the svn status subcommand
but also for the svn import subcommand.  I found
that no files with their name or their extension
on the global-ignore list in the user-config file,
were imported.

The Subversion book and the notes in the config file
only describe the function of the global-ignore list
with respect to svn status but not with respect to
svn import where it also appears to be active.

Is the role of global-ignore for svn import
a bug or an undocumented feature?
Once I discovered its role for import, I could see
some good uses for svn import.  It then becomes
easier to place the files in a directory under version
control without having to remove those files
that were to remain outside such control.  Merely
adding their file names or file extensions to the
global-ignore list keeps them from being imported.

If this is a feature, it needs to be mentioned in the
Subversion book  in this role as well as for svn status.

                                              Delbert

Re: Global-ignores active on import!

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 21:13, Delbert D. Franz wrote:

> Is the role of global-ignore for svn import
> a bug or an undocumented feature?

Whoops, thanks for pointing this out.  We'll add it to the book!