Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de> on 1998/07/06 10:59:37 UTC

Re: xnet versus net revistied on solaris.

>Hmm, looking deeper into xnet versus net on Solaris; from what I gather
>(thanks Neil) is that the sockets library really sits on top of TLI;
>select() calling poll(). And thus should be faster, not suffer from buffer
>overflow fun, etc, etc. Or am I way of the mark.

As far as I understand it, sockets or TLI are both libraries that sit
on top of the kernel implementation, with some twists with what streams
modules are on top. So TLI is at the same level as sockets, not below.
I would recommend against using TLI for various reasons, the most
notable is that nearly all interesting Unix network applications use
sockets, and thus the engineers at Sun will probably concentrate on
making sockets fast.

(Personally I would not touch TLI with a 9 feet pole, but that is
another story.)

Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3