Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> on 2017/11/27 21:16:42 UTC

[Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Hi,
I started to work on an HTML mockup for the UI as the first draft [1] and I
wonder if we really should embed this app within the webpage or if we rather
should open a new window that contains just the app.
(Without the background image at the top, cause it needs a lot of the screen
size)

I also will start to finish the server side but we should think about on how
to provide the services in parallel.
(We need a NodeJS installation with access to the file system).

@Alex
I remember that you offered to host this stuff on your server?
Is that right?

Or could we go with Apache Infra?

If nothing works I maybe also could provide something...

Thoughts?
Olaf

[1] https://snag.gy/DQbmwf.jpg

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: [Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
This looks awesome!

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf and Om,

that shows impressive!! Please keep the good work! That would be a huge
point to make people play Royale and put them near to adopt it!

Looks so good!! :)

Carlos

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Cool!!!! :)

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

> OmPrakash Muppirala wrote
> > Olaf, do I have your permission to commit this code into the Apache
> github
> > repo?  Once I put that in, more folks can start contributing.
>
> I've just committed it to [1].
> (Cause I've accidentally committed it to master at first the master history
> is polluted a bit)
> If I've overlooked that you've already committed it somewhere feel free to
> remove it.
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/apache/royale-website/tree/develop

I've committed my change as well.  I've updated the Readme with
instructions on how to to setup and test locally.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
OmPrakash Muppirala wrote

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yup. Also, the more apps we have written in AS3, the more it shows how it’s a viable language for writing Node.js apps.

Harbs

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Harbs wrote

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
A nice exercise would be to convert the code to AS.

Josh has a few Node.js projects done using Royale. We should be eating our own dogfood… ;-)

My $0.02.
Harbs

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
> I have the UI hooked up
Great, looks good! :-)

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
> I would like to deploy this
somewhere so folks can take a look.

Om, please keep in mind that we need to implement something at server side
that takes care of removing the temporary created "Royale project
directories".
I've chosen the approach of always creating a new dir with each request to
avoid implementation overhead at the beginning (authentication,
cookies,...).
Other ideas are welcome ;-)

Maybe we could remove a particular directory within the GET request after
the files are delivered... not sure. Or we run a job that removes all dirs
older than e.g. one day...

Thanks,
Olaf

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Olaf,

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Olaf, that worked!

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
OmPrakash Muppirala wrote

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Olaf,

I have the server up and running locally!

But my escaped mxml code seems to have some problems.  Can you give an

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Om,

> But, given that we are going to point the site royale.apache.org to a
> wordpress.com site, we should be able to embed this `Try it out` app from
> separately hosted server.

That's not true. We are creating the website through a worpdress instance
(royale.codeoscopic,com), but we'll be cutting a release exporting a static
html version that will be the one we'll be uploading to royale.apache.org.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> > I believe we committers have some Azure credits with which we can spin up
> > some VMs that can host this.  The last option is for some of us to pay
> and
> > host it somewhere.
> >

> I've already offered to host any services the Royale project needs on a
> dedicated AWS VPC, as a donation. I can't donate mega-instances, but I'm
> sure that for now a small or even nano instance will serve us fine until we
> reach world domination ;-)

I'll take you up on that :-)
Olaf, if you don't mind, can I start the deployment of the `Try-it-now` app
on Erik's AWS instance?
This way folks can 'try it now' for real and give you feedback.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Erik,

I think that would be a good solution for this problem. Thanks for offering
it :)

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Great progress, Olaf!  This is very exciting.

From what I understand, ASF Infra will not allow any active code running on
their servers.  Their charter is to only host static files(images, html,
js, etc.)
But, given that we are going to point the site royale.apache.org to a
wordpress.com site, we should be able to embed this `Try it out` app from a
separately hosted server.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
That's cool! :)

If you need some help from me in order to integrate with current website
let me know. You already have credentials in the webstite, but maybe for me
could be more easy as I know the tips and tricks to integrate in the
current website.

Thanks!

Carlos

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf,

sorry to not write before, I was very busy this past week and I'm going
through all the mails.
The image you posted is awesome!! good work, I'll continue reading through
the thread.

Thanks for working on this! :)

Carlos

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf,

> >But, given that we are going to point the site royale.apache.org to a
> >wordpress.com site, we should be able to embed this `Try it out` app
> from a
> >separately hosted server.
>
> Ahh... maybe you misunderstood me:
> With 'embed' I just mean if we should make the try-it-now app part of the
> website with the same look and feel or if we should build something that
> looks more like an app than a website an open it in another window.

I think we should make the experience as easier as we can for new comers.
We want they land in our home and see the big "Try it now" big button and
click on it. Then go to the page and see the app embedded. The look and
feel you show in the first screen shot is exactly what I was expecting to
get! :)
So pleases, no popups, since could be blocked!. All easy as we can :)

Thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

> I am still learning NodeJS but it seems to me it is straightforward and we
> also could implement some real time stuff maybe a bit easier. (I think in a
> more matured try-it-now version some day it would be cool to return the
> compiler log in real time to the app instead of just showing a spinner)

I Agree that get the log will be something I'd really like to see in this
app. Other apps similar use to show it, so huge +1 to this feature

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Awesome! can wait to see this stuff, keep the great work! :)

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Olaf

I will try to get your code working locally first.  Then I will push it to
Erik's vm.

We dont need to figure out the db right away.  I'm sure mongodb or dynamodb
should work.  We can figure that out when we come to that.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

[1]http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/install-node-js-npm-linux <http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/install-node-js-npm-linux>

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Olaf,

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Erik,

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Hi,

I just set up the AWS VPC, Load Balancer, RDS and EC2 instance for
'try-it-now'. You can see it in action at:

https://try-it-now.ixms.nl/

Yeah, sorry about that weird domain, we may be able to fix that later, but
for now Om won't let me use 'try-it-now.royalesdk.org' ;-)

The instance has a basic PHP stack on it, and it connects to a small db
instance. Media is served from the CDN located at 'try-it-now-cdn.ixms.nl'

I can give anyone who wants to further set this up SSH (SFTP) access to the
server instance, IAM access to the CDN and root db access. Please provide
me with your IP address and which services you want access to when
requesting access.

Thanks,

EdB

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> > I'll point a subdomain of the royalesdk.org domain to it, just because I
> > can ;-)
> >

> Please don't.  We don't want a trademarks discussion at this point :-)

No fun! No fair!

:-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295 <06%2051952295>
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [Try-it-now app] Progress thread

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Olaf,
>
> (We need a NodeJS installation with access to the file system).
> >

> How about I give you SSH access to a clean instance with Amazon Linux base
> install? Will you be able to take it from there, or would you need me to
> help with installing the server stack? Do you need a database?

Yes, I can take care of all that.  I will install whatever is needed to
make this work.

> In any case, I'll create the VPC etc. tomorrow, up to the server instance.
> I'll point a subdomain of the royalesdk.org domain to it, just because I
> can ;-)

Please don't.  We don't want a trademarks discussion at this point :-)

> EdB

Regards,
Om