Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Boudreau <mb...@press.uchicago.edu> on 2003/09/16 16:42:45 UTC

form data going astray

I'm having a recurring problem with an embperl application that makes
heavy use of HTML forms.

(I have two different configurations that both have this problem:
apache 1.3.26 with embperl 1.3.6, and apache 1.3.9 with embperl 1.2b11.)

The problem is that sometimes when a user clicks a button to submit
form data, the values in the form are apparently not sent back to the
server. The result is that the user sees either an error message or the
application's entry page (because the application doesn't find form
data that indicates what it should do).

 From what I can tell, the browser is succesfully contacting the URL in
the "action" attribute of the <FORM> element, but none of the form data
seems to be received. The embperl log doesn't show any error message,
just a call to the application page with no "[xxxxx]FORM: name=value"
entries, as if the user had come in at the starting page.

I have seen this problem in two different applications, one which uses
individual HTML pages with unique names (e.g., page1.epl, page2.epl,
etc.), and one which uses a frameset which contains a frame that has an
Execute statement that executes a different chunk of embperl depending
on the "nav_choice" (navigation choice) value submitted.

I think the problem occurs only with <FORM> elements; I can't recall
whether it has been reported when a user clicks a link containing a
query string (the application uses both).

The last few reports of this problem have all come from people using
Netscape Navigator 4.7x, and I don't know if that's a coincidence or
not. I think the problem has occurred with other browsers, but I don't
have figures to show how often.

Does this sound like a familiar problem to anybody? If you build a
web-based application, do you have to accept that a certain percentage
of button clicks by users are simply going to fail?

Where would you look further to find the cause of this? Would you
suspect that the browser is not correctly sending the form data (out of
my control, as long as my HTML is valid), or the data is sent but
somehow not reaching our web server (also out of my control), or the
data reaches our web server but somehow embperl loses it?

ANY suggestions or advice would be most gratefully received.

Michael R. Boudreau
Senior Electronic Publishing Developer
The University of Chicago Press
1427 E. 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
773-753-3298

Re: form data going astray

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> The problem is that sometimes when a user clicks a button to submit
> form data, the values in the form are apparently not sent back to the
> server. The result is that the user sees either an error message or
> the application's entry page (because the application doesn't find
> form data that indicates what it should do).
> The last few reports of this problem have all come from people using
> Netscape Navigator 4.7x, and I don't know if that's a coincidence or
> not. I think the problem has occurred with other browsers, but I don't
> have figures to show how often.

This is not a familar problem and you need not to accept it. This should
also work with NS 4.71. Maybe you have some HTML code that the old Netscape
doesn't like.

Can you create a short form, with just an input field and a submit button
that shows this behaviour?

Gerald