Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> on 1996/05/05 23:15:33 UTC

Re: This host crap

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:

> I am not very happy with this patch, elect6.jrc.it. is quite
> different (or can be quite different) from say elect6.jrc.it
> and elect6, and I'd like to either logs/use the *FULL* QHN, i.e.
> down to the last dot or the host names as they came in. It is
> just that that trailing dot means a lot and is a vital escape
> hatch if your searchpath or local DNS cache really fucks up.

Luckily, the patch in question has nothing to do with any of this,
because I agree with you. The patch in question only applies to the
handling of the Host: header when looking for virtual host
names. These should always be FQDN anyhow (although in practice
they're not), so the patch simply makes it, since the dot is a legal
representation of an FQDN, so that the user doesn't have to do
something like the following:

<VirtualHost www.foo.com>
ServerName www.foo.com
ServerAlias www.foo.com. *.foo.com *.foo.com. foo.bob.org foo.bob.org.