Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Vincent S Hou <sh...@us.ibm.com> on 2018/10/16 14:49:00 UTC

Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules

Hi all,

In order to make OpenWhisk a real member of Apache, we need to make a overhaul for the package name existing in all openwhisk projects. This is a must-have to relase
1.0.0 or above. This mail is a call-for-action, making every whisker on the same page.

As I went through all the 12 modules, which have released under Apache for the first time, there are only 2 modules, which need their package names changed: OpenWhisk and openwhisk runtime java. Package really means a grouping mechanism in terms of compiling and building for Scala and Java.

For example, the package "whisk.***" will be changed into "org.apache.openwhisk.***".

All the Go modules do not need to change, since Go projects have their native way to define the structure.
Runtime nodejs, docker, swift, php, and python do not need to change, since they do not have the syntax for package, only directory.
Catalog does not need to change.
Apigateway does not need to change.

If you do not agree on my discovery, feel free to chime in with comments.

For companies with existing platforms built on top of openwhisk, this change of package name will bring in incompatibility to the legacy. There are two ways proposed here to cope with: 1. use the openwhisk 0.9.0 official release available under apache as the code base; 2. change the package name in the platform as well to cater for the package renaming.

For other openwhisk modules, which plan to launch releases under Apache. Double-check whether you have package, which needs to change into "org.apache.openwhisk***".
The effort of changing the package will start soon. Be prepared.

Thanks for your attention.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States

Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
> Runtime nodejs, docker, swift, php, and python do not need to change,
since they do not have the syntax for package, only directory.

For the runtime tests are in Scala and they may need to be changed per new
package convention.

Chetan Mehrotra

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 6:28 PM Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...as long as it includes "Apache.OpenWhisk" (fully qual. name)
> in the path then it looks good to me as well....

Same here, +1

-Bertrand

Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.
Casing is always domain-specific... so if Mixed case is the convention for
.NET/C# then as long as it includes "Apache.OpenWhisk" (fully qual. name)
in the path then it looks good to me as well.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   11/27/2018 11:03 AM
Subject:        Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for
openwhisk modules

Thanks Shawn for following up. This makes sense to me.

We’ll need to add some travis integration into the repo to run the tests,
and push the image to dockerhub.
Then we can open a PR against Openwhisk to add the new runtime to the
manifest and update some docs.

-r

> On Nov 27, 2018, at 11:53 AM, Shawn Black <en...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
wrote:

> All,
> Sorry for the long delay in response to this, but I just wanted to
follow up.
> For the .NET runtime, is Apache.OpenWhisk an acceptable namespace
(similar to a package name in the JVM world)?
> While .NET namespaces are similar to Java packages in terms of purpose,
they differ in one area -- .NET namespaces lack a TLD (so no
.org/.net/.com, etc.).
> Including TLDs in .NET namespaces is rarely done in active development
and I think you would be hard pressed to find any (major) actively
developed projects using one.

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Black <en...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 All,