Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dennis Gove <dp...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/04 04:02:32 UTC

git commits with ssl keys

The git url for committers is
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git which, to me,
implies that one would have to supply their uname/pw on each commit. With
svn we were using ssl keys.

My understanding that to use ssl keys on git one has to use a url of the
form git@git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git  (not sure if this
is the right url, just showing the form)

Is it possible for us to use ssl keys for commits to git or will it be
necessary to provide uname/pw each time?

Thank,
Dennis

Re: git commits with ssl keys

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Actually, the IntelliJ integration is not bad for simple stuff, you
can enable it in the plugins manager. Perhaps my problem with
CHANGES.txt is related to rebasing, we'll see.

bq: If I didn't use SmartGit I would hate Git so much...

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a whirl, I suspect I'll appreciate it a bit
more when I've banged my head against the wall a few more times.

Re: git commits with ssl keys

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yeesh. If I didn't use SmartGit I would hate Git so much. Takes all this
crap off the table for me.

I use Git the same way I use SVN except there is staging and everything is
way faster. Full fledged Git is so wild.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 5:40 AM Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > And one more thing I was surprised by (and perhaps someone will tell
> > me what I did wrong). When I "cherry picked" to backport to 5x, the
> > CHANGES.txt file got all of the inclusions for 6.0 in it (on the 5x
> > branch). So I hand-edited that puppy instead of cherry picking.
>
> Did not happen to me until now. It always only cherry-picked the changes
> in the commit (just like in SVN). But I have done it using the Tortoise
> GUI, which is really comfortable (checkout 5.x, go to "show log", on
> top-left click on branch name and choose "master", right-click master
> commit, choose cherry pick).
>
> Maybe it is related to rebasing? I refuse to do rebasing unless really
> needed, so maybe I am on safe side - but my computer does not do it
> "automatically" as suggested here :-)
>
> Uwe
>

> > FWIW
> > Erick@AnotherGitNewbie.org
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Dennis Gove <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The git url for committers is
> > > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git which, to me,
> > > implies that one would have to supply their uname/pw on each commit.
> > With
> > > svn we were using ssl keys.
> > >
> > > My understanding that to use ssl keys on git one has to use a url of
> the
> > > form git@git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git  (not sure
> if this
> > > is the right url, just showing the form)
> > >
> > > Is it possible for us to use ssl keys for commits to git or will it be
> > > necessary to provide uname/pw each time?
> > >
> > > Thank,
> > > Dennis

- Mark
about.me/markrmiller

RE: git commits with ssl keys

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Re: git commits with ssl keys

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Dennis:

I just struggled with this..... And if you use IntelliJ, there are
"other issues".

This helps:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/

Since I'm on OS X, here's what I know about that platform. Ignore if
you're on something else of course, there are other instructions on
the page above.

git config --global credential.helper osxkeychain

I also had to remove all git-related entries in my keychain then
magically when I tried to push again it asked me for credentials (from
the command line). After that I was fine both from the command line
and IntelliJ. Of course next time I signed into GitHub I had to
re-authorize myself, and now I have two entries in my keychain. We'll
see if they play nice together. I DO NOT KNOW whether deleting my
keychain entries related to GitHub was necessary, I'm at the voodoo
stage.

About IntelliJ: I had to turn off the subversion plugin for IntelliJ
to work at all. Again, it's voodoo since I don't know whether there's
a good alternative or not. But since I don't need SVN for IntelliJ,
it's no loss and I'm not about to waste time trying to figure out a
more elegant solution.