Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Brian Kendig <br...@enchanter.net> on 2005/12/15 05:17:56 UTC

Re: "mkdir /dev/null: File exists" with every email thru SA 3.1.0

On Dec 14, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:39:16PM -0500, Brian Kendig wrote:
>
>> Dec 14 13:27:46 www spamd[3654]: mkdir /dev/null: File exists at ///
>> Library/Perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1467
>> Dec 14 13:27:46 www spamd[3654]: locker: safe_lock: cannot create
>> lockfile /dev/null/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex: Not a
>> directory
>> scantime=0.6,size=1111,user=exim,uid=-2,required_score=5.0,rhost=loca
>> lho
>
> If you're running spamd for site-wide usage, ie: always as exim,
> I'd disable
> per-user configs (remove -c, add -x), and use the respective config
> options to
> aim things like bayes, awl, etc, at a site-wide path.

Thanks for the tip!  I wasn't using -c in the first place, but now I
added -x, so now I'm running spamd as "/usr/local/bin/spamd -d -x -u
nobody".  But I'm still getting the same errors.  I'm running a
vanilla SpamAssassin install that's only slightly tweaked from the
defaults (I edited local.cf to add a few whitelist_from and
blacklist_from lines and some custom scores); I'm not using Bayes or
AWL.

Why did the behavior change in 3.1.0 - why is it suddenly so eager to
find a home directory for the user the calling process is running as,
and why is it ignoring the '-x' option?  Is this a new bug, or has my
config been broken all along?  What are the settings I need to
override because they default to a per-user path?

   - B