Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> on 2006/08/18 03:33:34 UTC

More build problems and compartmentalizing the build to avoid these in the future

It appears if the latest Axis2 and Axiom snapshots may not be in sync
and are causing another build break. I'm not sure how to resolve this
in the short-term other than wait until they do get in sync or revert
back to 1.0 which will bring up the classloader issues that forced us
to use the snapshots in the first place.

This does, however, raise the issue of the numerous build breaks we
have had over the last week and I think it is only going to get worse
as more extensions come into place. As a way to address this, I
believe we should have a compartmentalized build where, by default,
extensions are built separately. In this scenario, the following
would happen:

- api, spi, core, host-api, host-util, launcher, test, webapp, and
wsdl projects would be built together as the default
- each extension would be built individually
- there would be a maven "tower of babel" goal that would build
everything but would not be required to be run unless a change was
introduced into api, spi, or host-spi

Thoughts?

Jim