Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2013/02/12 19:16:46 UTC

[FalconJx] TestBase not using 'actual' compile method from MXMLJSC

Hi Mike (I guess ;-)),

I was poking around the FalconJx unit tests to set up the testing of
projects (tests made up of more than one (generated) file), and I
noticed that the tests "roll their own" implementation of the
compilation process. It's generally the same, but some differences
exist. While trying to get the project testing going, I thought I'd
refactor MXMLJSC in such a way that it can be used for unit testing as
well. I thought this might increase the reliability of the unit tests,
as they would always test the compilation implementation that is
actually used by FalconJx. Is that a really bad idea?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] TestBase not using 'actual' compile method from MXMLJSC

Posted by Michael Schmalle <mi...@teotigraphix.com>.
Thanks Erik!

Basically this is where a modular approach is best suited for testing.

You need to think about what you need to test in your "publisher"
program and how you can break it into pieces

BTW, the compiler is not doing much stuff different that that simple
FileNode request. :)

Mike

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
I understand clear as mud, that is exactly what it was to you. My
point is that sometimes when I am creating things from scratch as in
AMD, I am not going to commit it right off the bat because I don't
want to be moving files around and doing a bunch of nosensical
commits, that is the way I work.

I am doing nothing in AMD that you could break other than you changing
visitor methods or something, which I think we can both agree we
wouldn't do unless we made all the "current" tests pass. That is what
I did on a couple of my commits but, I made the tests pass.

The point of unit testing is that you can develop somethings off line
and they "shouldn't" have a direct dependency on what you are working
on for the tests or for that matter anything under a current unit
test. This is the case with the AMD and another reason I designed the
emitter and visitor framework the way I did, so it's really modular
and unobtrusive.

Anyway, the AMD is no different than what you are working on other
than the fact I need to create a temp StringBuilder that could be used
when using write() so I could replace dependencies at the end.

There is no more state than anything else, so it's what you hoped.

I am probably going to commit the rest of that code and tests in a day or two.

I am not clear on when I can get back to MXML. I am currently working
on something that is taking a bit of time. Like I said, with this
project as it stands I am more concerned about JS being compiled as
business logic first, I have said that from the beginning.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
You don't need to test anything, I haven't committed them yet.

As far as asking about methods, what I added made sense and should
have made sense to you by them being overridable. I mean;

addLibraries(libraries)
addSourcePath(paths)

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I haven't changed anything, I was asking IF changing it was a bad idea...

I did however remove those two methods, as they were empty and unused.
Maybe we should comment when we add some types of abstract methods
that is only meant to be overridden. I'm not that familiar with Java,
but I think there are ways to achieve that, correct?

I'll be a bit more conservative in the future, but as we're working on
this code now with more than one person, it might be beneficial if we
make our (future) intentions clear?

EdB

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Hi Erik,